489 College St.
Gifford houses mostly sophomores and juniors in singles and four and five person suites. Gifford also includes the Gamut Room, a student-run cafe and performance space in the basement. The amphitheatre outside the Gamut Room is home to student performances. Gifford also contains two classrooms and a lounge. Also located in the building are the offices of the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference, the oldest and best known conference for emerging writers in the nation, and the New England Review, a quarterly publication of short fiction.
With Mead Chapel and Hepburn Hall, Gifford Hall parallels Old Stone Row, and frames the upper campus. Gifford was built in 1940 as a memorial to James M. Gifford, 1877, a benefactor and trustee of the College. It houses 158 students.
Type of Housing
Sophomore and Upper-classmen Housing
68 singles, 10 double, 18 Suites (Each suite contains: 2 singles, 1 double, bathroom, kitchenette. Basement suite has two doubles and 1 single), Gifford Apartment (1 single, 1 double, bathroom, kitchen, lounge, stairs), 24 bathrooms, lounges, 6 kitchens (refrigerator, stove, oven, sink, storage), study rooms, laundry room, classroom, Gamut room (http://middlebury.collegiatelink.net/organization/thegamutroom), Gannex, bike room, storage in the basement.
Native Peoples of New England
Native Americans of Northern New England