5 Old Chapel Rd.
Painter Hall, the oldest college building in Vermont, was placed on the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places in 1990 due to its important historic and architectural value. Painter, which is the highlight of Old Stone Row (the three oldest buildings of the College), was built in 1815 and named for Gamaliel Painter, the founder and patron of Middlebury College and the town of Middlebury. It also serves as the architectural model for the new Atwater Residences, and is featured in a Norman Rockwell painting, Willie Gillis in College.
Originally called West College, it is now named for Gamaliel Painter, one of the College's founders. Painter, built in 1815, has previously housed the library, a gymnasium, and dean's and registrar's offices, in addition to students. Now, after its 1987 remodeling, it is a dormitory for 65 students.
Type of Housing
35 singles, 11 doubles, 12 bathrooms. lounge, kitchenette (refrigerator, oven, stove, sink, storage), laundry, bike room, storage.