H. Off-Campus Living Policy

1. The College permits a limited number of seniors to live off campus. Permission is granted by a process coordinated by the Office of the Dean of the College. Special students must live off campus and are not included in the total number. The number of off campus residents is based on our commitment to the residential nature of the College and an evaluation of the rental market in the town of Middlebury. Off-Campus status may not be granted if a student has been subject to official College discipline or academic failure; when a student's record comes into question, off-campus status requires the approval of the Commons dean. Students living off campus must provide their local address and phone number to their Commons dean and the residential systems coordinator of the College within the first 5 days of the term.

2. We need to plan accurately for our housing needs on campus. Thus, all off-campus forms must be turned in to the residential systems coordinator by the determined deadlines. Any student wishing to move off campus after the Off-Campus application deadline must notify the residential systems coordinator to be placed on a waiting list.

Off-campus permission is granted through a random draw in February/March for the fall and October/November for the spring. Students applying for off-campus permission from abroad must either:

(a) notify the residential systems coordinator by phone, email, or mail by the application deadline, or

(b) include their name with a group applying through the on-campus draw.

Students selected in the random draw must agree to sign an off-campus living contract stipulating their willingness to abide by the College's regulations and community standards. Students who accept off-campus housing status are ineligible to participate in room draw.

3. A new off-campus fee reduction form must be filled out and permission must be granted for each term a student wants to live off campus. A form filled out one term will not automatically transfer to the next term. Students living off campus in the fall term will be given priority to live off campus during the spring term, but they must fill out a new fee reduction form to retain this priority. Completing the form every term provides the Office of the Dean of the College with up-to-date residential information.

4. Students given permission to move off campus who decide after room draw to move back on campus will be placed on a waiting list. Students will not be guaranteed their first choice room but will be assigned one from the pool of available rooms. Students wishing to move back on campus for fall term will be assigned a room during August. Those wishing to move back on campus during the academic year will be assigned a room when one becomes available.

5. Students who choose to live off-campus without authorization - that is, students who are not granted off-campus status but move off-campus nonetheless - will be subject to official college discipline.

6. Check the Off Campus Housing Web site Off Campus Housing Web site for application information

7. Students who live off campus are expected to be good citizens. Students who violate College policy or local ordinances will be subject to College discipline.

8. Request for off-campus housing on the basis of a medical need must meet the following criteria:

(a) The medical need must be compelling, such as post-hospitalization with ongoing care needs.

(b) Requirements for special medical equipment which cannot otherwise be met through campus housing.

(c) The need for special care attendants to be present to help the individual which cannot be met by other campus housing facilities.

Issues such as social anxiety, mild depression, and cognitive impairment typically are not considered to be compelling reasons to gain off-campus housing. Students wishing to pursue this avenue through the dean of the College must apply through normal channels, and include letters from treating physicians and/or other medical professions. They must also agree to full medical disclosure with the dean of the College and his College's designee, which may include the College Physician or Director of the Center for Counseling and Human Relations. The medical records from the treating physician must include a proposed treatment plan for ongoing care while the student is at Middlebury College. Students without such recommendations will not be considered for off-campus housing. Students who find the social environment of their living situation unsatisfactory should attempt to address the issue through the Residential Life channels outlined in the Handbook.