Library facilities – comprising our libraries and some computing labs – are resources shared by the Middlebury College community. Respect for people and property rests upon the personal responsibility of users and visitors in order to:
- protect our facilities, furnishings, and equipment from harm
- support the longevity and preservation of library collections
- promote recycling of appropriate food and drink packaging, as well as paper products
- ensure the health and safety of all members of the community using our facilities.
Overall, be considerate: Respect the members of our community who work in or visit our libraries and computing labs each day, as well as the next user and the next generation of users of our facilities.
Food and Drink
- Food and beverages must be covered and kept in spill-proof containers.
- Take precautions to avoid spillage and soiling of library books, media, and facilities.
- Report accidental spills to Library staff as soon as possible.
- Food and drink are prohibited in Special Collections & Archives.
- Food and drink appliances, such as toasters and coffee-makers, are not permitted in study areas.
"Leave no trace." Leave Library facilities and furnishings as you found them, or in better condition than you found them:
- Deposit all recyclable food and drink packaging in recycling containers.
- Deposit all non-recyclable food and drink garbage in trash receptables, being careful to avoid splatters.
- Dispose of beverages by pouring liquids into a bathroom sink before recycling or throwing away containers.
- "Pack it in, pack it out." Carry out any non-disposable dishes, silverware, etc., that you bring into Library facilities and return them to your room, dining hall, or other location as appropriate.
- Take your belongings with you when leaving a library or lab, in order to leave study space free for another user, as well as to prevent theft of personal items.
Security and Safety
- While we strive to maintain a safe and secure environment, it is up to you to be responsible for your own possessions. Please do not leave belongings unattended. Lock down your laptop computer or store in a locker.
- If you witness theft or believe a personal possession has been taken, please report the incident to Library staff and Public Safety immediately.
- Report any disruptive, lewd, or suspicious behavior immediately to a Library staff member.
Please respect the use of the libraries and labs as locations where a variety of services are provided and received, and where study and reading take place.
- Cell phones: Please mute cell-phone ringtones and move phone conversations to areas so as not to disturb others who are studying nearby. In the main library, avoid conversations in the main lobby (sound is amplified and echoes throughout the building); please go to the front entry way, stairwells or other locations behind closed doors.
- Smoking or the use of tobacco are prohibited in Library facilities.
- Children: Faculty, staff and guest parents should be present to supervise their children and remind them that those around them may be studying or working on projects that require concentration. Unsupervised children creating disruption will be asked to leave.
- 24-hour study: Students may not "live" in the library when it is open 24 hours a day at the end of the semester and during exams.
- Special situations: Library & lab users must follow any specially posted information or rules regarding access to and use of Library facilities.
see also Handbook policy on Responsible Use of Library Materials in Library Borrowing