Middlebury College provides a level of insurance protection for employees, students, and College organizations while acting on behalf of the College. College coverage does not extend to persons acting on their own or acting outside of the scope of their relationship to the College. The coverage provided by the College is not a replacement for, but rather, a supplement to their own coverage. If more information is required, the vice president for Academic Affairs / dean of the faculty or designate will secure the information from the assistant treasurer on behalf of faculty. The dean of the College will secure the information on behalf of students.

The College recognizes the need for and strongly encourages individual insurance protection on the part of employees and students (or their parents) alike, in addition to and apart from any provided through the College. The College does not extend coverage/payment for damages caused by "acts of god."

Liability Protection

Middlebury College insurance policies afford protection against claims and suits as follows:

1. Instructors, teachers, professors, and all salaried employees of the College are protected by the College public liability insurance against claims for injury occurring anywhere in the world, brought against them by anyone, provided they were acting within the scope of their duties for the College at the time of the injury. Exceptions are claims arising out of the use of motor vehicles (see 2 below) and claims brought by another College employee who is acting within the scope of his or her employment.

2. All employees, all students, and all other persons are protected by the College automobile liability insurance for injury claims brought against them arising out of their use of a College-owned automobile or a hired automobile, provided the College has given permission for such use and the use is within the scope of such permission.

3. Beyond the protection set forth in 1 and 2 above, employees and students have to rely on their own individually purchased insurance for protection. In particular, employees, students, or others using their personal or a borrowed automobile (i.e., not a College-owned or hired automobile) on College business are not protected by College automobile liability insurance in the event that a claim is made against them; they must rely on their own or the automobile owner's insurance. Only the College itself is protected against claims arising out of use of such non-owned automobiles.

Protection, beyond that afforded through College insurance policies, is as follows:

1. The College requires evidence that buses and vans engaged (e.g., ACTR, Vermont Transit) are insured.

2. The dean requires each student who brings a car to College to have the minimum Vermont insurance liability requirements of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $10,000 property damage coverage.

Additional Insurance

Any vendor demonstrating or loaning to the College a product, machinery, equipment, or a vehicle shall provide evidence of insurance covering damage to and loss or destruction of that property while in our care, custody, or control.

1. Any person, club, team, or company serving alcoholic beverages on premises owned by Middlebury College or at a function sponsored by Middlebury College or any of its affiliates, whether on Middlebury College premises or not, must provide evidence of liquor liability insurance coverage with a limit of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence or $2,000,000 per occurrence for events with alcohol. Snow Bowl events with alcohol require evidence of liquor liability with a limit of $5,000,000 per occurrence. This coverage is in addition to insurance for workers' compensation, automobile, and public liability.

2. Sponsors of events on Middlebury College property may be required to provide certificates of insurance and/or hold-harmless agreements. Information on certificates of insurance for vendors and others coming to campus can be found on the Controllers webpage under "Accounts Payable."

3. Certificates and hold-harmless agreements should be on file and, if required, verified with the agent before commencement of the work or event in question. Further insurance information may be found at

Please direct questions to the assistant treasurer, ext. 5504.

Payments to Students (other than liability claims)

Regular Session
(September through June):

1. The comprehensive fee includes a nine-month accident insurance plan for all regular full-time undergraduate students. Additional protection is afforded for students participating in scheduled intercollegiate athletic contests. (See also 5 below)

2. Regular full-time undergraduate students who do not, through their parents or otherwise, have equivalent coverage may enroll in the companion sickness insurance plan underwritten by the accident carrier, but every student must have health insurance. (See 1 above.)

3. Middlebury students enrolled in the C.V. Starr Middlebury Schools Abroad are provided health insurance as part of the program.

4. The sickness insurance under 2 above is for one year, beginning September 1, and, for those covered by it, extends the accident coverage to the following September 1.

5. Under the student accident policy (1 above) no payment will be made that duplicates the amount payable under another insurance policy.

Further information regarding student accident and sickness plans may be found at

Summer Session:

Fees include accident insurance equivalent to that available to all students under 1 above for the period of the summer session (only) of the respective schools.

Medical Payments Insurance, Motor Vehicles

Occupants of College-owned private passenger cars and, in accordance with 2 under Liability Protection above, occupants of student automobiles may be paid for medical expenses up to the limits provided by respective insurance policies whether or not these vehicles are operated in connection with College activities and regardless of liability. Many employees carry this insurance on their cars, as well.

1. No student riding in a student car or other vehicle when room for him or her was provided in a College car or bus for a College function will be covered by College insurance.

2. No student may make any arrangement for use of his or her personal car on College business other than reimbursement for mileage at the established rate. College regulations do not permit a student being placed in the position of an employee of the College.

3. A vehicle owned or hired by the College may be driven by a person other than a regular employee of the College only with the permission of the assistant treasurer or designated representative.

Need for Individual Insurance

Employees should have their own personal liability coverage to protect against risks involved in acts which might not be judged to be in the course of or pursuant to the normal duties or behavior of persons in their position. This coverage is readily available, and its cost is not exorbitant.

Property Insurance

Middlebury College does not maintain fire, theft, or damage insurance coverage for the personal property of faculty, staff, students, or guests. The theft or damage of items left in storage on College property is not the responsibility of the College. College personnel are not authorized to extend coverage for personal property without the written consent of the treasurer or assistant treasurer.

Students should remove or otherwise take actions to protect their personal property left in College buildings over breaks. Everyone is responsible for maintaining adequate safeguards for and insurance coverage of their personal property. Employees, or parents in the case of students, may have coverage under their homeowner's or renter's insurance. The College recommends checking with an insurance agent to determine the scope and limits of the coverage.

Coverage for college property has an insured deductible that is based on the insured value of the building. Buildings with a value below $1,000,000 have a deductible of $25,000, buildings with an insured value of $1,000,000 or more have a deductible of $100,00.