Funding for faculty research and development
Here you will find information on various forms of support available for faculty research, course development, or other needs.
Faculty Development Funds
Faculty Professional Development Fund (FPDF) is available for all teaching faculty on an annual basis. It can support research needs such as travel, supplies and membership fees.
Long Range Professional Development Program (LPDF) are funds available for tenured faculty only and are authorized for projects expected to continue for more than one year, and up to five years.
The Undergraduate Collaborative Research Fund (UCRF) is available to support faculty who need to hire undergraduates to further their research.
The Faculty Research Assistant Fund (FRAF) provides wages for student assistants for faculty scholarship or course development.
Funds are available to assist faculty with production costs and reprint costs for scholarly publications through the Scholarly Publication Subvention Fund (SPSF).
Other sources of funding for faculty development include department budgets for supplies and equipment for research, and start-up funds which are negotiated during the hiring process.
Course Development and Curricular Programming
Needs in the area of course development and curricular programming may be supported by two funds.
Ada Howe Kent
(Administered by the Dean of Curriculum and Faculty Development)
- For course development or for research
- $600-$2,000, 2-5 awards /year
- Deadline: April, funding available after June 1st
Academic Outreach Endowment for Community Connected Teaching, Learning and Research (Service Learning)
(Administered by Tiffany Sargent, Director, Civic Engagement, Center for Education in Action)
- For curriculum innovation in Community Connected Teaching, Learning and Research (Service Learning) pedagogy
- Up to $4,000 in all disciplines
- Deadline: April (to Tiffany Sargent) for summer or following academic year projects (applications reviewed each spring) Funding is available after June 1st
- Further information: see Center for Education in Action website
Other Faculty Support Funds
Leave Moving Subsidy
- Requests should be submitted to the Dean of the Faculty
- Grants are normally made only to those faculty members who research or other leave activity takes place outside Middlebury, and who will be leaving Middlebury for at least three months of their leave
- Please review the policy on this subsidy
- Travel and research funds are available for faculty who have retired
- Requests should be submitted to the Dean of Curriculum and Faculty Development.
Time & Effort Forms
Time & Effort forms will be provided to collect summer salary, or if you have received a grant that provides support for your leave. If your grant includes funding for grant salary, you will need to complete the appropriate form and submit it to Cory Buxton in Accounting in order to receive a payment.