Middlebury College is highly selective, with admissions decisions based on high school records, standardized test scores, recommendations, extracurricular involvement, and student writing. Most students rank in the top 10 percent of their high school classes, challenge themselves with difficult courses, and demonstrate commitment to interests beyond academics.
Middlebury selects students for admission who show the potential and desire to succeed in a rigorous academic environment. For that reason, whether they come from small-town America, a big city, the suburbs, or from outside the U.S., Middlebury students find that they have much in common.
Middlebury College does not require a specific secondary school program of study, but we suggest:
- Four years of English
- Four years of one foreign language
- Four years of mathematics and/or computer science
- Three or more years of laboratory science
- Three or more years of history
- Some study of music, art or drama