Alaska's Inside Passage by Small Ship
August 17 - 24, 2012
Experience the wild beauty of Alaska from the comfort of the deluxe 36-passenger Safari Explorer. The forces of nature are on full display in the Inside Passage - mountains eroded by the crushing force of massive glaciers, icebergs plunging into cold aquamarine seas, land and marine animals struggling to feed and raise young during the short arctic summer. This exclusive small ship program offers unparalleled access to quiet coves, and the flexibility to linger while sea lions battle on rocky shores, or bears scavenge the beaches at low tide. One of the highlights of this program is two days in Glacier Bay, allowing ample time to hike scenic trails or observe the abundant wildlife while kayaking or relaxing on deck. During this program you will also be able to enjoy lectures and field expeditions with talented and enthusiastic naturalists, as well as excursions and trail hikes led by shipboard guides and park rangers.
Alaska 2012 itinerary at a Glance:
Day 1: Arrive in Juneau / Embark Safari Explorer / Cruise Inside Passage
Days 2-3: Glacier Bay National Park
Day 4: Icy Strait
Day 5: Chatham Strait
Day 6: Frederick Sound / Admiralty Island
Day 7: Ford’s Terror and Endicott Arm
Day 8: Disembark in Juneau / Return flight home
Accommodating only 36 guests, the beautifully designed 145-foot Safari Explorer offers the spacious feel of a larger vessel while preserving the atmosphere and exclusivity of a smaller yacht. Its unique bridge is spacious and inviting, making it possible for the Captain to open its doors and welcome guests for wildlife spotting, perusing the charts and interacting with the Captain and crew. All staterooms are spacious, with sea views, king, queen, or twin Tempur-pedic™ beds, en-suite facilities, heated tile bathroom floors, and climate control. Its comfortable dining room, lounge, library and bar area provide places for conversations with other guests, having tea or a glass of wine, reading up on local tales and natural wonders, and enjoying the fine gourmet courses that magically appear from the galley. The trip also includes:
- All of the equipment – and expertise – for kayaking, snorkeling and more
- Onboard lecture program and services of a premier Orbridge Expedition Leader, as well as ship's guides and naturalists, throughout the program
- All onboard hand-crafted meals including a special Captain’s Farewell Dinner tastefully prepared with local flair by the Executive Chef
- Fully-stocked bar with premium wine, beer and spirits
- One complimentary massage treatment (per guest), as well as morning yoga classes led by the ship's Wellness Director
- Spa area with a large hot tub, sauna, and fitness equipment
- Intimate library with a rich selection of reading material relating to the voyage
- All staterooms feature large windows offering spectacular views of the passing scenery, heated tile floors in the bathroom, Tempur-Pedic® memory foam mattresses, flat-screen TV/DVD, and an iPod docking station
For more a more detailed itinerary, program rates, or to reserve space, please call Orbridge at 866.639.0079 or access the travel brochure using the link above.
Please note that the Middlebury College Alumni Association does not offer travel insurance. If you wish to purchase travel insurance, please contact Viking Travel about TravelGuard Insurance. Their toll-free number for Orbridge guests is 888.772.4503, and their hours of operation are 10:00 am – 6:00 pm Pacific Time. For more
information about coverage options you may go to www.travelguard.com.