Women's Soccer Wins Two

October 13, 2008

The Middlebury College women's soccer team won its third game in its last four contests as the Panthers earned a 3-1 NESCAC victory over Tufts on Dragone Field. The Jumbos, who had allowed just three goals in seven games prior to today, including six shutouts, fall to 6-2 on the season.

Middlebury took a 1-0 lead 22:31 in the game, as senior Lindsay Rotherham (Bozeman, Mont.) scored her first goal of the season with a shot over the head of Tufts keeper Kaitlin Minnehan.

Leading 1-0 in the second half, senior Caitlin Parker (Seattle, Wash.) had a great chance to score with a one-on-one with Tufts keeper Hannah Jacobs, who was on in relief of an injured Minnehan. Following the save by Jacobs, play was stopped as she was injured on the play, forcing Tufts to put midfielder Maya Shoham in the game with 34:52 remaining.

The Panthers took a 2-0 advantage at 59:58 as Parker took a centering feed from senior Ashley Pfaff (Charlotte, Vt.) and finished with a shot to the lower left corner. Middlebury gained some breathing room at the 66:31 mark as junior Anjuli Demers (Dracut, Mass.) found junior Margaret Owen (Bozeman, Mont.) ahead of the pack. Owen went one-on-one with the keeper and slid a shot into the net that deflected off the hand of Shoham.

Tufts broke up the shutout in the 83rd minute as Jamie Love-Nichol's shot from 25 yards out sailed over the head of sophomore Lauryn Torch (Bronxville, N.Y.) and into the net. Torch ended the day with three saves, while the Tufts keepers combined to make eight.

Earlier in the week, sophomore Annie Rowell (Craftsbury, Vt.) scored what proved to be the game-winner with 5:20 remaining as Middlebury picked up a 2-1 NESCAC win over Trinity on Dragone Field.

Parker gave Middlebury a 1-0 lead just 9:21 into the game with her second tally of the season. Parker took a short pass from Rotherham down low and quickly slid a shot past Trinity keeper Emily Weedon for the 1-0 advantage.

Torch kept it a 1-0 game in the 61st minute as she made a diving save on Jenny Ley from point-blank range. The Bantams broke through at 81:32 as Morgan Sackman's shot deflected off the hands of Torch and found the back of the net.

Following a lengthy delay due to an injury, the game-winner came after just 3:08 had elapsed on the clock. Rowell broke to the goal one-on-one with Weedon, before the two met as the ball popped over Weedon, leaving Rowell with an empty net.

Trinity had one last chance with less than 30 seconds later, but Torch denied Erike Maciaszczyk to preserve the win. Torch ended the day with four saves for the Panthers, while Weedon made a pair for the Bantams.
. Women's soccer record: 5-4-2
. Up next: 10/18 vs. Bates - 11:00