Men's Soccer Has 1-0-1 Week

October 27, 2008

Middlebury sophomore Brooks Farrar (Medfield, Conn.) scored his first career goal with 43 seconds left in double overtime to lift the Panthers to a 2-1 win over in-state foe Norwich. Senior Allen Bourdon (Lyme, N.H.) found Farrar with a quick crossing pass from 10 yards out, before he redirected the pass into the back of the net. The Panthers extend their all-time series lead over Norwich to 43-3-4, despite Cadet Victories in '01 and '05.

Norwich struck first in the 12th minute as Ryan Boyton broke in all alone. Middlebury senior keeper Brian Bush (Madison, Wis.) came out to meet Boyton, as the ball squirted to the right where Boyton was able to find the back of the net for his 16th tally of the year.

Middlebury had a great chance to tie the came in the 23rd minute, but first-year player Tyler Macnee (Williston, Vt.) was denied on a breakaway by Norwich keeper Charles Maxwell. Norwich had an opportunity for a two-goal lead late in the half, but Middlebury senior defender Corey Moffat (Berkeley, Calif.) cleared the ball away as it was heading towards the goal line.

The Panthers tied the game just 2:33 into the second half as Macnee took a crossing feed from Farrar and scored his 10th goal of the season with a blast to the right side.

Farrar nearly gave Middlebury the lead in the 56th minute, as his shot caromed off the crossbar. The Panthers continued to dominate the second half, holding a 12-2 shots advantage, but could not take the lead.

Middlebury junior Micah Wood (Tacoma, Wash.) had a great chance in the last minute of the first overtime, as his header hit the crossbar and sailed over the goal. Neither team could find the back of the net in the second overtime, until Farrar's game-winner in the 109th minute.

Bush ended the day with three saves for the Panthers, while Maxwell made eight stops for the Cadets.

Middlebury and Connecticut College battled to a 1-1 tie through two overtimes, as the Panthers played their second double overtime game of the week. With the tie, the Panthers have locked up a NESCAC first-round home game and will host a contest on Sunday, November 2nd at 12:00. If victorious, Middlebury would be the tournament's top seed and host the NESCAC semifinals and championship on November 8th and 9th.

Connecticut College took a 1-0 lead in the 31st minute of the game on a goal from Oscar Brown. Trevor Phophet beat his defender and played a nice cross to Brown, as he scored with a header.

Macnee scored his 11th goal of the season with just 1:02 left to force the game into overtime. Sophomore Carson Cornbrooks (Williston, Vt.) saw his shot saved, before senior Baer Fisher (Kenilworth, Ill.) quickly found Macnee on the rebound as he finished to force the game into extra time.

The Panthers had a great chance in OT, but Camel keeper Ted Lane stopped Macnee from 12 yards out on a one-on-one breakaway. The Camels had a great chance in the second OT, but Justin Marques shot was cleared off the goal line by Middlebury sophomore defender Jake Edwards (Easton, Conn.).

Despite these chances, neither team was able to find the back of the net through 20 minutes of overtime, as the game ended in a 1-1 tie. Bush made five saves in goal for the Panthers, while Ted Lane made five stops for the Camels.
. Men's soccer record: 9-1-2
. Up next: 10/28 vs. Keene - 3:00, 10/31 @ Williams - 2:30, 11/2 host TBA (NESCAC Quarterfinals) - 12:00