Men's Soccer Suffers First Loss

October 20, 2008

The Panther men's soccer team Middlebury saw its 18-game unbeaten streak come to an end as the Panthers dropped a 1-0 contest to Bates at home. The lost is the first for the Panthers since a 2-1 double overtime loss at Keene State on October 23rd of last year, while they suffer their first shutout loss since a 2-0 decision to Keene State on October 25th of 2006. It is also the team's first defeat on their Field Turf surface installed last fall, as they were 14-0-1 entering today's contest.

Despite holding a 9-5 advantage in shots, the Panthers were unable to find the back of the net. Senior Allen Bourdon (Lyme, N.H.) had a nice chance to score in the 41st minute, but his shot from 30 yards out sailed just inches outside the left post. Rookie Robbie Redmond (Morristown, N.Y.) threatened for Middlebury in the 70th minute as his blast from 25 yards away was punched out by Bates keeper Greg Watts.

The Bobcats scored the game's only goal at 84:39 as Dae Ro Lee struck a beautiful corner kick that arced around Middlebury senior keeper Brian Bush (Madison, Wis.) and into the far side of the net. The Panthers had a last second flurry, but senior Baer Fisher's (Kenilworth, Ill.) shot after a loose ball in the penalty area was went just wide.

Watts made four saves in goal to earn the shutout, while Bush made three stops for the Panthers.

Earlier in the week, first-year player Tyler Macnee (Williston, Vt.) scored a pair of second-half goals Tuesday afternoon as Middlebury defeated Plymouth State 3-0, in a non-conference men's soccer match at Panther Field.

The match was scoreless for much of the first half until senior Corey Moffat (Berkeley, Calif.) put the visitors on the board with just over five minutes on the clock. Junior Michael Spiak (Andover, Mass.) fed a corner kick into the box and Moffat headed it into the goal for a 1-0 lead. Middlebury had a 5-1 advantage in shots in the first half.

Middlebury took over the game in the second half, outshooting the hosts 10-3 after the break and scoring the only two goals, both by Macnee. Sophomore Harrison Watkins (San Francisco, Calif.) found Macnee in the box for a goal 10 minutes into the half, and Macnee knocked in his own rebound five minutes later to make it 3-0. Macnee now has a team-leading nine goals on the season.

PSU had two quality chances to score. Semir Mehmedovic put a free kick over the Middlebury defensive wall and on goal in the first half, which was saved by Bush, and Tommy Schrey got a solid shot off in the second half but hit the side of the net.

Bush and junior keeper Jamie Wheeler (Wenham, Mass.) each made one save as Wheeler came off the bench to play the last 12 minutes in the Middlebury goal. Tyler Shute made four saves for PSU.
. Men's soccer record: 8-1-1
. Up next: 10/22 vs. Norwich - 3:00, 10/25 @ Conn. College - 2:30