October 5, 2009

The Panther men's soccer team played 110 minutes of soccer with Colby, but that wasn't enough to determine a winner, as the teams settled for a 1-1 tie at Middlebury.

Middlebury had a pair of quality chances to score in the first half, but could not find the back of the net. Junior Carson Cornbrooks (Williston, Vt.) had an open look in the 31st minute, but his blast from 22 yards out sailed just over the crossbar. Just five minutes later, junior Jake Edwards (Easton, Conn.) saw his shot from the left side turned away by a nice save from Colby's Dan Marden.

The chances continued to come for Middlebury in the second half, as they outshot Colby 13-6 on the afternoon. Colby broke onto the board first at 66:05, as Donny Macmaster fed Duy Lyford for a quick one-touch that hit the cross bar and went into the net. Edwards saw a great crossing pass go untouched in the 62nd minute, while the same happened to rookie Adam Batista (Newport, Vt.) in the 81st. Between those two scoring opportunities, the Panthers took advantage of a corner kick at the 79:43 mark. Edwards served a great ball to Rob Cole (S. Burlington, Vt.), as the rookie converted with a header for his first collegiate goal to tie the game at 1-1.

Cornbrooks had a shot to win it for the Panthers with six minutes left, but his header off an Otis Pitney (Washington, D.C.) cross was saved by Marden. Middlebury had some opportunities in each overtime period, but could not take advantage as they settled for a 1-1 tie. Marden ended the day with seven saves, while Middlebury sophomore Tim Cahill (S. Glastonbury, Conn.) made a pair.

Cornbrooks opened the scoring against Plymouth just 1:32 into the game as he one-touched a great crossing pass on the right side from senior Colin Nangle (Westport, Conn.). Cornbrooks struck again with his third of the season at 17:46, giving Middlebury a 2-0 advantage. Rookie Ethan Galiette (Avon, Conn.) made a similar crossing pass, as Cornbrooks received the ball on the left side and slid a shot past Plymouth keeper Bjorn Ohlsson.

The Panthers threatened again in the 39th minute, but Ohlsson got a piece of an Edwards shot, before it hit the crossbar. Plymouth's best chance of the half came shortly after, as Aly El Tambouly let a shot go that was denied by a one-handed diving save by Cahill.

The Panthers had a golden opportunity just 23 seconds into the second half, but senior Nolan Lincoln's (E. Thetford, Vt.) penalty shot was saved to his left by a diving Ohlsson. Just seconds after coming off the bench in the 68th minute, senior Stephen Hart (Park City, Utah) sent sophomore Tyler Macnee (Williston, Vt.) in all alone as he notched his second goal of the season to make it a 3-0 game.

Plymouth had another scoring chance in the 71st minute as Semir Mehmedovic gained some breathing room in a one-on-one situation breaking to the goal. He quickly fired a shot to the short side, but Cahill was there to deny him with a diving stop. The Panthers had a breakaway of their own in the 83rd minute, but junior Taylor Wilkins (S. Burlington, Vt.) was stopped by Ohlsson, who finished the game with eight saves. Cahill made five stops for the Panthers to earn his third shutout of the season.
. Men's soccer record: 4-2-2
. Up next: 10/10 @ Amherst - 2:30