October 24, 2011

            Middlebury outshot Plymouth State 21-0 on its way to a 5-0 win over the Panthers in Vermont on Wednesday.

            Middlebury opened the scoring 8:38 into the contest as junior Brett Brazier (Okemos, Mich.) trapped and settled a ball, before feeding senior Tyler Macnee (Williston, Vt.). The Middlebury senior took a quick step and then blasted home a shot from the left wing for his team-leading fifth of the season.

            Senior Martin Drolet (Lachine, Que.) scored twice in a 3:32 span midway through the half to give the Panthers a 3-0 advantage. The first goal came after a flurry of shots as Macnee was stopped and Brazier hit the crossbar with a header before Drolet finished. He struck for his fourth of the year at the 20:57 mark, taking a feed from senior Robbie Redmond (Morristown, N.J.) before scoring from 17 yards out.

            Middlebury made it a 4-0 game with 2:55 left in the first half, when junior Alvand Hajizadeh (Williamstown, Mass.) fed junior Matt Martin (Kenmore, Wash.), who scored his first of the year.

            The game remained at 4-0 through most of the second half, with the Middlebury Panthers adding a late goal to make it a 5-0 final. Junior Ethan Galiette (Avon, Conn.) earned his second of the year, switching directions with the ball before ripping a shot home from 20 yards out.

            Senior Tim Cahill (S. Glastonbury, Conn.) played the first half in goal for Middlebury, while juniors Eric Wilson (Portland, Ore.), Adam Liu (Westport, Conn.) and Zach Abdu-Glass (Lexington, Mass.) split time in the second half. Bjorn Ohlsson made six saves in goal for Plymouth State.

Drolet scored past a drawn-out Bates defense with 4:55 left, allowing Middlebury  to hand the Bates men's soccer team a 1-0 NESCAC loss on Saturday at Russell Street Field. Middlebury raised its record to 7-3-3, 7-3-3 in conference, while the Bobcats stayed winless in NESCAC play at 0-9 (4-9 overall).

Both teams' offenses had opportunities in the first half. The first was at the 5:00 minute mark, when Macnee had Bates goalkeeper Greg Watts beaten only to have a Bates defender block the ball on the goal line and clear it. Throughout the remainder of the half, Bates' best chances came from their six corner kicks, with John Murphy serving up brilliant corners, but the Panther defense was able to deny the Bobcats each time.

The second half produced more of the same back-and-forth action.  A Bates opportunity came along at the 26 minute mark, when Ryan March launched a missle of a shot just over the net from just outside the Middlebury penalty area.  Later in the period, Tyler Grees found himself with a golden opportunity when a Murphy corner cross landed at his feet.  Grees one-timed his deflection, only to have Cahill come up with the save. 

It was in the 86th minute that Middlebury was able to break through and get their only goal. As Middlebury counter-attacked off of a Bates opportunity, Watts found himself out of the goal at the top of the 18 yard box to help disrupt a long pass.  As Watts, the Panther forward and a Bates defender converged, the ball ricocheted back towards midfield, where Drolet launched a shot into the open net from about 30 yards away.

Watts finished with six saves, while Cahill had seven for the Panthers.
• Men’s soccer record: 7-3-3
• Up next: 10/26 vs. Williams – 2:00, 10/29 @ TBA (NESCAC Quarterfinals)