March 21, 2011

Middlebury scored the final three goals of the game earning a hard fought 13-9 victory over visiting Springfield on Wednesday afternoon at Kohn Field. The fifth-ranked Panthers improve to 2-0 on the young season, while the Pride drops to 2-3 with the non-conference loss.

            Springfield took their first and only lead of the game in the first quarter when Shawn Runyon scored for a 2-1 lead. Middlebury rookie John McGoldrick (Norwalk, Conn.) scored the equalizer in the final minute of the first quarter off a feed from senior David Hild (W. Hartford, Conn.), starting a four-goal run by the Panthers.

            Senior Andrew Connor (Alexandria, Va.) continued the run at 13:51 in the second quarter with a driving bounce shot before Hild capped the run with a pair of goals, including an impressive dodge from the left side for a 5-2 advantage with 9:00 remaining before the break. The teams exchanged scores before Middlebury junior Tim Cahill (Glastonbury, Conn.) scored off a great feed from sophomore Mike Giordano (Ridgewood, N.J.) for a 7-3 lead with 3:52 left. Tyler O’Keefe answered for the Pride collecting a ground ball and slipping one past Panther senior goalie Ryan Deane (Grosse Point, Mich.) just over a minute later. Cahill and Giordano collaborated on the final goal of the half as a cutting Cahill collected a cross-crease pass from Giordano for a man-up tally with 1:15 left.

Trailing 8-4 entering the third quarter, Springfield scored a pair of five-hole goals as Jerrid Johnson notched his second goal of the game at 11:06. Forty-five seconds later, Mike Delia’s score cut the Middlebury lead to 8-6. Both teams exchanged tallies before McGoldrick and Hild exchanged roles, as Hild notched his third of the game off a doorstep feed from McGoldrick for a 10-7 lead with 1:13 left in the third.

Springfield opened the fourth with another two-goal spurt including a man-down tally by Parker Geane, making it a 10-9 game with 14:01 left to play. Conner answered for Middlebury with a clutch move to the crease at 13:07 for a two-goal advantage. Hild added the final two goals of the game, the first at 10:56 on a physical move to the cage, followed up by a nice dodge at 6:35 for a 13-9 advantage and some breathing room.

Hild led all scorers with five goals and an assist, while Conner added a hat trick and Giordano scored a goal while dishing out a pair of assists for Middlebury. Geane scored three goals for Springfield, as Johnson added a pair of goals with one assist and O’Keefe netted two goals.

Deane made nine saves for Middlebury, while his Springfield counterpart Connor Nash made 12 saves in net.

Wesleyan’s Max Landow scored 29 seconds into overtime, giving the Cardinals a 9-8 instant victory over Middlebury in men's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon at Wesleyan. The Cardinals improve to 5-0 overall and 2-0 in NESCAC play, while the fifth-ranked Panthers suffer their first defeat, dropping to 2-1 on the season and 1-1 in conference play.

Wesleyan’s Joe Del Visco won his 13th faceoff in 19 attempts in the contest as teammate Pete Modera scooped up the ground ball, giving the Cardinals the opening possession of overtime and called a timeout with 3:49 on the clock. Bernatavitz began with the ball on the right side, eventually setting up Landow for the game-winner 18 seconds after the timeout. Bernatavitz assisted on each of Landow's three goals, the first two coming 3:38 apart early in the second quarter, giving Wesleyan a 4-2 lead at the time.

Though Middlebury began the day's scoring on a high shot from the right side by McGoldrick, his third of the year, at 7:45 of the first quarter, the lead lasted 35 seconds as Teddy Citrin evened the count at 7:10. Wesleyan never trailed the rest of the way, leading by as many as three goals, 5-2, and again, 6-3, which proved to be the halftime score.  The game was tied three times, at 2-2, 7-7 and 8-8. Middlebury’s Cahill scored the last two equalizers including one with 9:41 left in the fourth quarter producing the final deadlock. It was his second goal of the game and sixth of the season. Cahill’s first goal was a man-advantage that tied the game at 7-7 with 12:42 to go, but Gabe Kelley put a bouncer in from long range at 11:29, putting Wesleyan on top, 8-7. 

Hild notched four of his squad's eight goals and assisted on another, keeping the Panthers within reach throughout the game. His two goals in a span of 1:08 cut the Cardinals' 6-3 halftime lead to 6-5 at 10:08 of the third quarter. Citrin responded with his third goal of the contest off a set-up from Bernatavitz, giving Wesleyan a 7-5 advantage with 5:17 left in the quarter. Bernatavitz ended the game with a goal and four assists.  

The teams played the final 9:41 of regulation scoreless, the longest period of time without a goal in the game.  Each team had strong scoring chances in the final 9:41, as Wesleyan goalie Grant Covington made three of his 15 saves during the stretch. Deane made a stop and was aided by a crossbar when Citrin rang a shot squarely off the top of the goal with 6:50 left.  Deane ended the game with seven saves.  
• Men’s lacrosse record: 2-1
• 3/26 vs. Conn. College – 1:00