Men's Soccer With Stunning Tourney Win Over Tufts

October 31, 2004

10/31/04 - Middlebury scored three goals in the final 14:36 and then won it 55 seconds into overtime as the Panthers earned an improbable come-from-behind victory over Tufts in a NESCAC Tournament game.  Middlebury will take on Bowdoin at Williams next Saturday, while the host school meets Wesleyan in the other semifinal match-up. The title game is slated for noon on Sunday.

Tufts came out early as Mattia Chason drew Middlebury goalkeeper Craig Hirsh out before sliding a pass to Ben Castellot who slid a lengthy shot into the open net. The Jumbos were continuing to pressure when Castellot's bid for a second goal into an open net was stopped by Middlebury defender David Lee at the 9:00 mark. Tufts kept coming with Castellot having another great chance at the 20:00 mark, but his shot sailed wide after a mis-handled ball.  The Jumbos took a 2-0 lead with just 1:45 left in the half as Todd Gilbert slid a pass down low to Dan Jozwiak, who buried the open look.

At the 73:06 mark of the second half, Tufts took a commanding 3-0 lead with a great shot to the top right corner of the net by Mike Guigli from 20 yards away. Middlebury came back strong after the goal and would dominate play for the remainder of the game. David LaRocca got the scoring started just 1:30 after Guigli's goal as he deflected a mid-air pass from Winston Rains into the net from 10 yards out. LaRocca struck again just 1:51 later as quick touches from Rains and Kellan Florio left LaRocca open from close range. The rookie got off a shot that was tipped by a defender before it went high into the net.

In the game's closing seconds, Middlebury had all 11 attackers in the Tufts box, including goalkeeper David Lindholm who had come in at the halftime break. With just 18 seconds left, LaRocca headed the ball to John Rusten who beat Matt Sullivan with a low shot from close range to tie the game at three.

Just 55 seconds into the first overtime, LaRocca fed a through ball to Kellan Florio who took two steps before sliding a shot into the bottom right corner past Sullivan from 15 yards away for the game-winner.

LaRocca ended a spectacular day with two goals and two assists, after scoring three in the team's 4-0 win over Trinity on Saturday. Hirsh made four saves in the first half, while Lindholm stopped three in the remainder of the game. Sullivan ended the game with four saves for Tufts.

Date: October 31, 2004

Time: 12:00 p.m.

Site: Middlebury, Vt.


TEAM  1  2  OT  OT  F

Tufts (8-6-1)  2  1  0  -  3

Middlebury (11-2-2)  0  3  1  -  4



T-1st (1:44) - Ben Castellot (Mattia Chason)

T-1st (43:15) - Dan Jozwiak (Todd Gilbert)

T-2nd (73:06) - Mike Guigli

M-2nd (75:24) - David LaRocca (Winston Rains)

M-2nd (77:15) - LaRocca (Kellan Florio)

M-2nd (89:42) - John Rusten (LaRocca)

M-OT (90:55) - Florio (LaRocca)


Craig Hirsh-M (45 min., 4 saves, 2 GA)

David Lindholm-M (45:55 min., 3 saves, 1 GA)

Matt Sullivan-T (90:55 min., 4 saves, 4 GA)