Men's Tennis Wins First NCAA Title
May 17, 2004
5/14/04 - First-year player Alex Scott held serve with an overhead slam to give Middlebury its first NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship title with a 4-3 win over Williams on Friday afternoon at Bates College's Wallach Tennis Center. The national championship is the 21st for the College since '95 and the fourth in the 2003-04 year. The Panthers end the season with a school-record 18 wins against just three losses. Earlier in the day, head coach David Schwarz was named the ITA National Coach of the Year.
Middlebury looked in control of the doubles point, with two of the three duos having solid leads in their matches. Nathan Edmunds and Brian Waldron held on for the 8-6 win, while Justin Ingoglia and George Mayer fell 8-4. The deciding match came down to a tie-breaker as Scott and Ari Beilin were defeated 9-8 (7-4).
The single action started with Ingoglia dropping his match at #5, 6-1, 6-2. Waldron earned the Panthers their first point as he won 6-1, 6-3 at #2 singles. After Edmunds lost 6-3, 6-1 at #1, Middlebury trailed 3-1 with three matches left to be completed. Things looked bleak with Middlebury having lost the first set in two of those three matches. The Panther battled, forcing all three matches into a third and deciding set. Beilin was the first to win as he won 6-3, 6-1 after dropping the first set 2-6. Mayer won his first set 6-4, lost 6-7 (7-5) via the tie-breaker and then turned up the heat with a 6-0 win in the third set to even the match at 3-3. Scott lost the first 3-6, but rebounded with a 7-5 win in the second set. The duo traded service breaks for five consecutive games before Scott finally capped the match with a 7-5 win in the third set.
(SEE PHOTO GALLERY BELOW, photos by Brad Nadeau)
Final Score: Middlebury 4, Williams 3
1. Andrew Murray (Williams) def. Nathan Edmunds (Middlebury) - 6-3, 6-1
2. Brian Waldron (Middlebury) def. Daniel Murray (Williams) - 6-1, 6-3
3. Ari Beilin (Middlebury) def. Jeff Kivitz (Williams) - 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. George Mayer (Midd.) def. John Haywood (Williams) - 6-4, 6-7 (7-5) 6-0
5. Scott MacKenzie (Williams) def. Justin Ingoglia (Middlebury) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Alex Scott (Middlebury) def. Lax Urban (Williams) - 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
1. A. Murray/D. Murray (Williams) def. Ingoglia/Mayer (Middlebury) - 8-4
2. Haywood/Urban def. Beilin/Scott (Middlebury) - 9-8 (7-4)
3. Edmunds/Waldron (Middlebury) def. Kivitz/MacKenzie (Williams) - 8-6
3. Ari Beilin
4. George Mayer
6. Alex Scott
11. Tennis Family
12. Tennis Collage by Mike Accordino