Men's Tennis Returns To NCAA Title Match
May 18, 2006
Middlebury will make its third consecutive appearance in the NCAA Championship after defeating top-seeded Gustavus Adolphus 4-0 in an NCAA semifinal contest at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Va. The contest was a rematch of last year's semifinal that Middlebury also won. The 2004 NCAA Champions and 2005 runners-up will take on Emory, the winner of the other semifinal, in the title match at 1:00 p.m. on Friday.
Middlebury earned a 1-0 lead after capturing two of three doubles matches. The #1 doubles pairing of Ari Beilin and Alex Scott won their match 8-2. After falling 8-6 in the #3 doubles match, the #2 doubles tandem of Kevin Bergesen and Nathan Edmunds clinched the point with an 8-6 win. In singles play, #2 Beilin, #1 Brian Waldron, and #5 Salih Unsal each won their matches in straight sets for the 4-0 victory.
Final Score: Middlebury 4, Gustavus Adolphus 0
1. Brian Waldron (M) def. Loren Collins - 6-2, 6-2
2. Ari Beilin (M) def. Adam Morgan - 6-3, 6-2
3. Jesse Brauer (GA) vs. Nathan Edmunds - 7-6, 2-4 (DNF)
4. Conrad Olson (M) vs. Andy Bryan - 7-6, 1-4 (DNF)
5. Salih Unsal (M) def. Roy Bryan - 6-4, 6-4
6. Brett Morse-Karzen (GA) vs. Alex Scott - 6-4, 3-6, 4-1 (DNF)
1. Beilin/Scott (M) def. Morgan/Morse-Karzen 8-2
2. Bergesen/Edmunds (M) def. Bryan/Bryan 8-6
3. Collins/Brauer (GA) def. Unsal/Waldron 8-6