Men's Tennis Advance to NCAA Semifinals
May 17, 2006
Middlebury will make its fourth straight NCAA semifinal appearance after defeating Trinity (Tx.) in a quarterfinal contest at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Va. The 2004 National Champions and 2005 runner-up will face Gustavus Adolphus in the semifinal for the right to advance to the 2006 NCAA title. The semifinal, a rematch of last year's contest in which Middlebury prevailed 4-0, will begin at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday.
The Panthers jumped out to a 1-0 lead after capturing two of the three doubles matches. In singles play, Middlebury's Ari Beilin, Nathan Edmunds and Conrad Olsen all won their matches in straight sets to clinch the victory.
Final Score: Middlebury 4, Trinity (Tx.) 0
1. Brian Waldron (M) vs. John Matthews - 7-6 (DNF)
2. Ari Beilin (M) def. Stu Row - 6-2, 6-1
3. Nathan Edmunds (M) def. Oliver Ganes - 6-4, 6-0
4. Conrad Olson (M) def. D.J. Petros - 6-1, 6-0
5. Salih Unsal (M) vs. James Furr - 6-3, 5-2 (DNF)
6. Alex Scott (M) vs. Ryan DeSantis - 6-2, 4-1 (DNF)
1. Scott/Beilin (M) def. Matthews/Petros - 8-3
2. Edmunds/Bergesen (M) vs. Gaines/DeSantis - 6-6 (DNF)
3. Waldron/Unsal (M) def. Row/Furr - 8-6