Men's Tennis Wins Fourth Straight NESCAC Title
April 29, 2007
The Middlebury College men's tennis team won its fourth consecutive NESCAC Championship Sunday morning on the campus of Amherst College, defeating the third-seed Ephs of Williams College, 7-2. The win improves the Panthers to 18-1, while the Ephs move to 14-6.
Alex Scott and George Mayer teamed up to win the #1 doubles match, while Kevin Bergesen and Andrew Thomson followed with an 8-5 win of their own in the #2 match.
Williams' Ted Haley and Jeremy Weinberger kept the Ephs within striking distance by picking up an 8-6 win in the #3 doubles match, but it was all Middlebury in singles play. Scott, Conrad Olson and Mayer took home straight-set wins in the #1, #2 and #3 singles matches, respectively, while Thomson won the #5 match in straight sets to give the Panthers their fourth singles victory.
In the #6 singles match, Filip Marinkovic dropped the first set to Williams' Rick Devlin, 7-5, but won back-to-back 6-3 sets for the Panthers' fifth singles win. Gary Simonette dropped his first set to Bergesen, 4-6, but battled back to pick up the Ephs' lone singles victory of the day, winning 6-3 in the second and third sets.
The Panthers will resume play at the NCAA Championships, while the Ephs will hope to be among the teams receiving an at-large bid.
1. Scott/Mayer (M) def. Greenberg/Thacher (W) 8-5
2. Bergeson/Thomson (M) def. Simonette/Lebedoff (W) 8-5
3. Weinberger/Haley (W) def. Olson/Marinkovic (M) 8-6
1. Alex Scott (M) def. Ted Haley (W) : 7-6, 6-2
2. Conrad Wilson (M) def. Dan Greenberg (W) : 6-2, 6-0
3. George Mayer (M) def. Nick Lebedoff (W) : 6-1, 6-4
4. Gary Simonette (W) def. Kevin Bergesen (M) : 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Andrew Thomson (M) def. Karol Furmaga (W) : 6-2, 6-0
6. Filip Marinkovic (M) def. Rick Devlin (W) : 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
Final Score: Middlebury 7, Williams 2