Men's Tennis Opens Spring Season
March 12, 2007
The Middlebury College men's tennis team opened up its spring season with a pair of indoor wins on campus. The Panthers had little trouble as they picked up 9-0 wins over Connecticut College and Brandeis. The Panthers lost just one set in the two matches.
Senior Kevin Bergesen (Beverly, Mass.), junior Filip Marinkovic (Toronto, Ont.) and first-year player Andrew Thomson (W. Bloomfield, Mich.) were all singles victors against Connecticut College. Rookies Andrew Lee (Eden Prairie, Minn.), Peter Odell (Scarsdale, N.Y.) and Eliot Jia (Mt. Desert, Maine) were all winners as well.
In doubles action, Bergesen/Thompson, Marinkovic and sophomore Conrad Olson (Waterloo, Belgium) and Odell/Jia were all victors.
Much the same against Brandeis as seniors Alex Scott (Mt. Kisco, N.Y.) and George Mayer (Merion, Pa.) were winners, along with Lee. Also winning singles matches were Bergesen, Marinkovic and Thomson.
In doubles play, Mayer/Scott, Thomson/Bergesen and Lee/Jia were winners.
Date: March 10, 2007
Middlebury 9, Brandeis 0
1. Alex Scott (M) defeats Vulfuvich, 6-1, 6-3
2. George Mayer (M) defeats Tonas, 6-2, 6-3
3. Andrew Lee (M) defeats Sher, 6-3, 4-6, 4-2 ret.
4. Kevin Bergesein (M) defeats Bieber, 7-6, 6-1
5. Filip Marinkovic (M) defeats Silverman, 6-2, 6-2
6. Andrew Thomson (M) defeats Schulman, 6-1, 6-1
1. Mayer/Scott (M) defeats Tonas/Vulfuvich, 8-5
2. Thomson/Bergesen (M) defeats Schulman/Neastatt, 8-3
3. Lee/Eliot Jia (M) defeats Bicher/Sher, 9-8
Date: March 10, 2007
Middlebury 9, Connecticut 0
1. Kevin Bergesen (M) defeats Dave Kellogg, 6-3, 6-1
2. Filip Marinkovic (M) defeats Ted McAusher, 6-2, 6-2
3. Andrew Thomson (M) defeats Ned Minevitz, 6-2, 6-3
4. Andrew Lee (M) defeats Reid Larson, 6-1, 6-1
5. Peter Odell (M) defeats Tom Sinstanley, 6-1, 6-0
6. Eliot Jia (M) defeats Will Moyer, 6-0, 6-0
1. Bergesen/Thomson (M) defeats Kellog/McAusher, 8-4
2. Marinkovic/Conrad Olson (M) defeats Minevitz/Sherman, 8-2
3. Odell/Jia (M) defeats Jason Sprung/Andrew Meyer, 8-5