Men's Tennis Ends Season In NCAA Semi's
May 14, 2008
The Middlebury men's tennis team saw its season come to an end with a 5-1 loss to Emory in an NCAA semifinal match at Bates. The Panthers end their season in the semi's for the second straight year, falling to 18-6. Middlebury will play its final match of the year on Thursday morning at 9:00 a.m. in the consolation match.
All three doubles matches were tightly contested, with Emory edging out all three victories. Michael Goodwin and David Caplan were 8-6 winners over Filip Marinkovic and Andrew Thomson in the #1 slot to give Emory a 1-0 lead. Rich Bonfiglio and Andy Peters fell to Oliver Lopp and Michael Kaufman at #3 by a score of 8-5, before Mark Boren and Hardy Ehlers defeated Chris Mason and Andrew Lee, 9-8, 7-5 in the tie-breaker.
In singles play, Ehlers gave the Eagles a 4-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Bonfiglio at #5. Thomson put the Panthers on the board at #3 as he was a 6-4, 6-0 winner to cut the deficit to 4-1. Goodwin of Emory ended the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Lee at #1 singles.
Marinkovic won his first set and led 4-3 in the second when the match was halted, while Peter Odell was about to even his match at one set apiece.
Date: May 14, 2008
Emory 5, Middlebury 1
1. Michael Goodwin defeats Andrew Lee (M), 6-2, 6-4
2. Filip Marinkovic (M) vs. Mark Boren, 6-4, 4-3, DNF
3. Andrew Thomson (M) defeats David Caplan, 6-4, 6-0
4. Oliver Lopp vs. Andrew Peters (M), 6-2, 4-0, DNF
5. Hardy Ehlers defeats Rich Bonfiglio (M), 6-3, 6-1
6. Colin Egan vs Peter Odell (M), 6-2, 0-5, DNF
1. Goodwin/Caplan defeat Marinkovic/Thomson (M), 8-6
2. Boren/Ehlers defeat Chris Mason/Lee (M), 9(7-5)-8
3. Lopp/Michael Kaufman defeat Bonfiglio/Peters (M), 8-5