Men's Tennis Advances To NCAA Semis
May 13, 2008
Middlebury advanced to the NCAA semifinals for the sixth straight season as they picked up a 5-0 win over Mary Washington. The quarterfinal match took place on the campus of Bates College in Maine. The Panthers will take on Emory in a semifinal contest on Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m.
Chris Mason and Andrew Lee put the Panthers on the board first as they defeated John James and Jason Dunn by a score of 8-3 at #2 doubles. Rich Bonfiglio and Andy Peters made it a 2-0 match with an 8-6 win at #3, before Filip Marinkovic and Andrew Thomson defeated Randy Loden and Kaz Murata 9-7 in the #1 slot.
Middlebury needed two of six singles matches to clinch the victory, as Marinkovic put them one step closer in singles play. The team's lone senior made it a 4-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Loden in the #2 singles slot.
Peter Odell followed with a 6-2, 6-1 win in the #6 singles match over Zach Detweiler to seal the match.
Date: May 13, 2008
NCAA Quarterfinals @ Bates
Middlebury 5, Mary Washington 0
1. Andrew Lee (M) vs. John James, 2-6, 1-2
2. Filip Marinkovic (M) defeats Randy Loden, 6-1, 6-0
3. Andrew Thomson (M) vs. Jason Dunn, 6-2, 1-1
4. Andrew Peters (M) vs. Eddie Carver, 3-6, DNF
5. Rich Bonfiglio (M) vs. Evan Goff, 6-4, DNF
6. Peter Odell (M) defeats Zach Detweiler, 6-2, 6-1
1. Marinkovic/Thomson (M) defeat Loden/Kaz Murata, 9-7
2. Chris Mason/Lee (M) defeat James/Dunn, 8-3
3. Bonfiglio/Peters (M) defeat Goff/Jon Pollak, 8-6