Men's Tennis Wins NCAA Regional
May 4, 2008
Middlebury advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals after a 5-1 win over Trinity in an NCAA Regional on campus. The Panthers will meet Mary Washington in a quarterfinal match on Tuesday, May 13th at Bates College. Middlebury improves to 17-5 on the season, while Trinity ends the year with a 13-3 mark. The match took place at the Nelson Recreational Center on campus after wet courts forced it to be played indoors.
Middlebury took a 1-0 lead early as Rich Bonfiglio and Andy Peters were 8-3 winners over Spencer Feldman and David Patrick at #3 doubles. Trinity tied the match with an 8-4 win at #2, as Brett Ramsay and Tom Dolan defeated Andrew Lee and Chris Mason. The Panthers took two of three doubles matches as Filip Marinkovic and Andrew Thomson earned an 8-4 win over Gautam Samarth and David Yahng.
Marinkovic was the first singles winner, as he defeated Ramsay 6-2, 6-3 in the #2 spot. Thomson quickly gave Middlebury a 4-1 lead, earning a 6-4, 6-1 win over Yahng at #3 singles. Lee sealed the match for the Panthers as he defeated Feldman 6-4, 6-4 in a lengthy #1 singles contest.
Final Score: Middlebury 5, Trinity 1
1. Andrew Lee (M) def. Spencer Feldman (T) - 6-4, 6-4
2. Filip Marinkovic (M) def. Brett Ramsay (T) - 6-2, 6-3
3. Andrew Thomson (M) def. David Yahng (T) - 6-4, 6-1
4. Andy Peters (M) vs. Tom Dolan (T) - 6-2, 3-6, 4-2 - DNF
5. Rich Bonfiglio (M) vs. Gautam Samarth (T) - 1-6 - DNF
6. Peter O'Dell (M) vs. David Patrick (T) - 6-2 - DNF
1. Marinkovic/Thomson (M) def. Samarth/Yahng (T) - 8-4
2. Ramsay/Dolan (T) def. Lee/Chris Mason (M) - 8-4
3. Bonfiglio/Peters (M) def. Feldman/Patrick (T) - 8-3