Men's Tennis With NCAA Win Over M.I.T.
May 3, 2008
Middlebury advanced to the regional final of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament with a 5-0 win over M.I.T. in a match played in the Nelson Recreational Center on the campus of Middlebury College. The Panthers will take on the winner of the Vassar/Trinity match, played later today, in the regional final on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
Middlebury held a 3-0 lead after doubles play, with two of the matches highly contested. Filip Marinkovic and Andrew Thomson cruised to an 8-2 win, while Rich Bonfiglio and Andrew Peters were 9-7 winners over Peden Nichols and Jonathan Farm of M.I.T. The final doubles match saw Andrew Lee and Chris Mason of Middlebury earn a 9-8 (8) win in a tie-breaker over Kevin Pang and David Iba.
Final Score: Middlebury 5 M.I.T. 0
1. Andrew Lee (Midd) vs. Eric Beren (MIT) vs. - 6-7 (3), 0-1
2. Filip Marinkovic (Midd) vs. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) - 6-2, 5-1 DNF
3. Andrew Thomson (Midd) def. Kevin Pang (MIT) - 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrew Peters (Midd) def. Peden Nichols (MIT) - 6-1, 6-1
5. Rich Bonfiglio (Midd) vs. Ryan Castonia (MIT) - DNP
6. Peter O'Dell (Midd) vs. David Iba (MIT) - DNP
1. Marinkovic/Thomson (Midd) def. Beren/Van Tilburg (MIT) - 8-2
2. Lee/Chris Mason (Midd) def. Pang/Iba (MIT) - 9-8 (9)
3. Bonfiglio/Peters (Midd) def. Nichols/Jonathan Farm (MIT) - 9-7