Men's Tennis Hosting NCAA Regional - Complete Schedule/Results
May 2, 2008
The Middlebury men's tennis team will make its seventh consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament when they host a regional on campus from May 2nd-4th. The Panthers open play when they take on the winner of the M.I.T./Salem State match at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday.
First Round - Friday, May 2
M.I.T. 5, Salem St. 0
Second Round - Saturday, May 3
Middlebury 5 vs. M.I.T. 0 (14-6)
Trinity 5 vs. Vassar 1 (14-6)
Regional Final - Sunday, May 5
Middlebury 5 vs. Trinity 1 (13-3)
First Round Summary
For Release: May 2, 2008
M.I.T. ADVANCES TO SECOND ROUND
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - M.I.T. advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament with an 5-0 win over Salem State at Middlebury College. The Engineers (14-5) will take on the host school at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday in a second round match-up, while Salem State ends its season at 9-6.
M.I.T. took a 3-0 lead early with wins in all three doubles contests. The Engineers took the first set in all six singles matches, with Ken Van Tilburg defeating Rob Thomas in the #2 slot 6-0, 6-0 to give them a 4-0 lead. David Iba sealed the match at #6 singles, with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Salem's Brian Carlson.
Final Score: M.I.T. defeats Salem State, 5-0.
1. Eric Beren (M) vs. Adrien Malosse (S) - 6-4, 1-0, DNF
2. Ken Van Tilburg (M) def. Rob Thomas (S) - 6-0, 6-0
3. Kevin Pang (M) vs. Rob Random (S) - 7-5, 2-1, DNF
4. Peden Nichols (M) vs. Kyle Watson (S) - 6-1, 3-2, DNF
5. Ryan Castonia (M) vs. Alexander Eisath (S) - 6-1, 5-2, DNF
6. David Iba (M) def. Brian Carlson (S) - 6-1, 6-2
1. Beren/Van Tilburg (M) def. Malosse/Random (S) - 8-6
2. Pang/Iba (M) def. Thomas/Watson (S) - 9-7
3. Nichols/Jonathan Farm (M) def. Eisath/Carlson (S) - 8-3
For Release: May 3, 2008
MIDDLEBURY HEADED TO REGIONAL FINAL
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - Middlebury advanced to the regional final of the NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Tournament with a 5-0 win over M.I.T. in a match played in the Nelson Recreational Center on the campus of Middlebury College. The Panthers will take on the winner of the Vassar/Trinity match, played later today, in the regional final on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
Middlebury held a 3-0 lead after doubles play, with two of the matches highly contested. Filip Marinkovic and Andrew Thomson cruised to an 8-2 win, while Rich Bonfiglio and Andrew Peters were 9-7 winners over Peden Nichols and Jonathan Farm of M.I.T. The final doubles match saw Andrew Lee and Chris Mason of Middlebury earn a 9-8 (8) win in a tie-breaker over Kevin Pang and David Iba.
Final Score: Middlebury 5 M.I.T. 0
1. Andrew Lee (Midd) vs. Eric Beren (MIT) vs. - 6-7 (3), 0-1 DNF x
2. Filip Marinkovic (Midd) vs. Ken Van Tilburg (MIT) - 6-2, 5-1 DNF x
3. Andrew Thomson (Midd) def. Kevin Pang (MIT) - 6-1, 6-1 1
4. Andrew Peters (Midd) def. Peden Nichols (MIT) - 6-1, 6-1 2
5. Rich Bonfiglio (Midd) vs. Ryan Castonia (MIT) - DNP x
6. Peter O'Dell (Midd) vs. David Iba (MIT) - DNP x
1. Marinkovic/Thomson (Midd) def. Beren/Van Tilburg (MIT) - 8-2 1
2. Lee/Chris Mason (Midd) def. Pang/Iba (MIT) - 9-8 (9) 3
3. Bonfiglio/Peters (Midd) def. Nichols/Jonathan Farm (MIT) - 9-7 2
For Release: May 3, 2008
TRINITY ADVANCES TO REGIONAL FINAL
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - It will be an All-NESCAC regional final as Trinity defeated Vassar 5-1 in an NCAA men's tennis tournament match-up at Middlebury. The Bantams will take on the host school in the regional final on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. Today's matches were played in the Nelson Recreational Center on campus due to weather.
Trinity won two of three doubles matches to hold an early 2-1 advantage. Brett Ramsay was a 6-4, 6-1 winner over Max Willner of Vassar in the #2 singles slot to give the Bantams a 3-1 advantage. Trinity's Tom Dolan followed with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Ashish Patil in the #4 slot to make it a 4-1 match. Spencer Feldman sealed the match for Trinity with a 6-2, 7-6 (5) win at #1 singles over Mike Mattelson of Vasar.
Final Score: Trinity 5 Vassar 1
1. Spencer Feldman (T) def. Mike Mattelson (V) - 6-2, 7-6 (5)
2. Brett Ramsay (T) def. Max Willner (V) - 6-4, 6-1
3. David Yahng (T) vs. Greg Katz (V) - 2-6, 6-3, 5-4 DNF
4. Tom Dolan (T) def. Ashish Patil (V) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Gautam Samarth (T) vs. Jeremy Rosen (V) - 3-1 DNF
6. David Patrick (T) vs. Josh Jasso (V) - DNP
1. Samarth/Yahng (T) def. Willner/Katz (V) - 8-2
2. Mattelson/Patil (V) def. Ramsay/Dolan (T) - 8-5
3. Feldman/Patrick (T) def. Rosen/Jasso (V) - 8-6
May 04, 2008
MIDDLEBURY WINS NCAA REGIONAL
Middlebury advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals after a 5-1 win over Trinity in an NCAA Regional on campus. The Panthers will meet Mary Washington in a quarterfinal match on Tuesday, May 13th at Bates College. Middlebury improves to 17-5 on the season, while Trinity ends the year with a 13-3 mark. The match took place at the Nelson Recreational Center on campus after wet courts forced it to be played indoors.
Middlebury took a 1-0 lead early as Rich Bonfiglio and Andy Peters were 8-3 winners over Spencer Feldman and David Patrick at #3 doubles. Trinity tied the match with an 8-4 win at #2, as Brett Ramsay and Tom Dolan defeated Andrew Lee and Chris Mason. The Panthers took two of three doubles matches as Filip Marinkovic and Andrew Thomson earned an 8-4 win over Gautam Samarth and David Yahng.
Marinkovic was the first singles winner, as he defeated Ramsay 6-2, 6-3 in the #2 spot. Thomson quickly gave Middlebury a 4-1 lead, earning a 6-4, 6-1 win over Yahng at #3 singles. Lee sealed the match for the Panthers as he defeated Feldman 6-4, 6-4 in a lengthy #1 singles contest.
Final Score: Middlebury 5, Trinity 1
1. Andrew Lee (M) def. Spencer Feldman (T) - 6-4, 6-4
2. Filip Marinkovic (M) def. Brett Ramsay (T) - 6-2, 6-3
3. Andrew Thomson (M) def. David Yahng (T) - 6-4, 6-1
4. Andy Peters (M) vs. Tom Dolan (T) - 6-2, 3-6, 4-2 - DNF
5. Rich Bonfiglio (M) vs. Gautam Samarth (T) - 1-6 - DNF
6. Peter O'Dell (M) vs. David Patrick (T) - 6-2 - DNF
1. Marinkovic/Thomson (M) def. Samarth/Yahng (T) - 8-4
2. Ramsay/Dolan (T) def. Lee/Chris Mason (M) - 8-4
3. Bonfiglio/Peters (M) def. Feldman/Patrick (T) - 8-3