Men's Tennis Falls At Williams
April 9, 2008
Middlebury saw its 45-match NESCAC winning streak (regular & post-season) come to an end as they dropped a hard-fought 5-4 match at Williams on Wednesday. The Panthers had not lost to a NESCAC opponent since a set-back to Bowdoin in the '02 NCAA Tournament. The loss also snaps a 39-match NESCAC regular season winning streak. The Ephs entered the match ranked fourth in the latest national poll, while the Panthers were in the ninth slot.
When darkness forced the match indoors, Williams led 4-3 with both number one and number two singles tied at one set each. When Middlebury's Filip Marinkovic defeated the Ephs' Nick Lebedoff 5-7, 6-3, 6-2 the match came down to the result at one singles.
The Panthers' Andrew Lee won the first set from Greenberg 6-2, but the Eph senior responded with a 6-4 win in the second set and closed out the match with a 6-3 win in the third set. Middlebury was playing without one of its top singles players, Andrew Thomson, who is out with an injury.
Date: April 9, 2008
Williams 5, Middlebury 4
1. Dan Greenberg defeats Andrew Lee (M), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Filip Marinkovic (M) defeats Nick Lebedoff, 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
3. Andrew Peters (M) defeats Gary Simonette, 7-5, 6-2
4. Jeremy Weinberger defeats Rich Bonfiglio (M), 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
5. Peter Odell (M) defeats Karol Furmaga, 6-2, 6-2
6. Rick Devlin defeats Chris Mason (M), 6-1, 6-2
1. Greenberg/Bret Thacher defeat Lee/Mason, 8-5
2. Gimonette/Lebedoff defeat Peters/Michal Malhame (M), 8-5
3. Marinkovic/Bonfiglio (M) defeats Furmaga/Devlin, 8-2