Men's Tennis Wins NCAA Regional
May 10, 2009
Middlebury has advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals after a 5-0 win over Skidmore in an NCAA Regional match-up on campus. The Panthers will take part in the NCAA Championship week beginning on Tuesday, May 19th in Claremont, California. Middlebury improves to 20-2 on the season with a dozen straight victories, while Skidmore ends its year with a 16-3 mark.
Middlebury excelled in doubles play once again, taking a 3-0 lead early. Eliot Jia and Andrew Thomson earned an 8-3 win in the top slot, followed quickly by Andrew Lee and Rich Bonfiglio's 8-5 win at #2. The #3 doubles match saw Middlebury's Conrad Olson and Andrew Peters come from down 6-2 to pick up an impressive 9-8 (4) come-from-behind victory in a tie-breaker.
Peters made it a 4-0 lead for the Panthers at #4, as he earned a 6-0, 6-0 singles win over Spencer Cheng. The match was completed shortly after, as Lee defeated Lorenzo Cabrera 6-4, 6-0 to seal the match with a win at #3 singles.
Final Score: Middlebury 5, Skidmore 0
Doubles (order of finish)
1. Eliot Jia /Andrew Thomson (M) def. Carl Eric Girardin/T.J. David (S) - 8-3: 1
2. Andrew Lee/Rich Bonfiglio (M) def. Spencer Cheng/ Lorenzo Cabrera (S) - 8-5: 2
3. Conrad Olson/Andrew Peters (M) def. Yahia Imam/ Luke Granger (S) - 9-8 (4): 3
Singles (order of finish)
1. Girardin (S) vs. Olson (M) - 6-4, 1-0, DNF
2. Thomson (M) vs. Imam (S) - 6-4, 3-1, DNF
3. Lee (M) def. Cabrera (S) - 6-4, 6-0: 2
4. Peters (M) def. Cheng (S) - 6-0, 6-0: 1
5. Peter Odell (M) vs. Granger (S) - DNS
6. Jia (M) vs. Ethan Bond (S) - DNS