Men's Tennis Headed To Regional Final
May 9, 2009
Middlebury advanced to the NCAA Regional Finals with a 5-0 win over Ithaca. The Panthers will take on Skidmore at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday with a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals on the line. Ithaca ends its season at 18-5, while Middlebury improves to 19-2 on the year with 12 straight wins. The match began at 2:00 p.m. on the outdoor courts and was moved inside the Nelson Rec Center due to rain. Following a few minutes of action indoors, a power failure caused a lengthy delay with action resuming at Middlebury Indoor Tennis at 8:15 p.m.
Middlebury jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead, sweeping all three doubles matches. Eliot Jia and Andrew Peters were the first victors, earning an 8-2 win in the #3 slot. Andrew Lee and Rich Bonfiglio earned an 8-3 win at #2, followed by David Farah and Andrew Thomson's 8-4 win at #1.
The Panthers needed just two singles matches to advance, after taking the first set in all six contests. Peters was the first singles player to earn a victory, defeating Jimmy Newton 6-0, 6-1. Lee clinched the victory for the Panthers with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Josh Rifkin.
Doubles (order of finish)
1. David Farah/Andrew Thomson (M) def. Taylor Borda/Josh Rifkin (I) - 8-4: 3
2. Andrew Lee/Rich Bonfiglio (M) def. Jimmy Newton/Danny Wolk (I) - 8-3: 2
3. Eliot Jia/Andrew Peters (M) def. Mike Mauraco/Andrew Dunnick (I) - 8-2: 1
Singles (order of finish)
1. Thomson (M) def. Burda (I) - 6-2, 4-5 - DNF
2. Lee (M) def. Rifkin (I) - 6-4, 6-4: 2
3. Peters (M) def. Newton (I) - 6-0, 6-1: 1
4. Jia (M) def. Wolk (I) - 6-4, 0-0, DNF
5. Bonfiglio (M) vs. Muraco (I) - 6-0, 3-0, DNF
6. Farrah (M) vs. Dan Levine (I) - 6-0, 0-1, DNF