Men's Tennis Advances To NESCAC Finals
May 2, 2009
Middlebury will look for its fourth NESCAC title in the last five years after earning a 5-1 win over Bowdoin in a NESCAC semifinal match-up at Williams. The Panthers will take on Amherst at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday for the conference title.
The Panthers defeated the Polar Bears, 6-3, in the regular season and continued where they left off in this afternoon's contest. Middlebury took a 2-1 advantage into singles play with two routine doubles wins at courts two and three. Bowdoin's Oscar Pena and Jamie Neely managed to take a win at court one with an 8-5 defeat of Middlebury's Farah and Thompson.
The middle of the lineup cruised to two quick victories for Middlebury. Andrew Lee and Andrew Peters took straight set decisions at courts three and four, with Lee winning over Tyler Anderson by a 6-1, 6-4 result and Peters taking his match over Alex Caughron by a 6-1, 6-1 score. Andrew Thompson picked up the fifth point after a 7-5, 6-1 defeat over Pena. Middlebury will face off against Amherst tomorrow at 9:00 for a NESCAC championship. Amherst defeated Williams, 5-0, to advance to the conference finals.
Middlebury 5, Bowdoin 1
1) Pena/Neely (B) def. Farah/Thomson (M) --- 8-5
2) Bonfiglio/Lee (M) def. Sullivan/Caughron (B) --- 8-2
3) Olson/Peters (M) def. White/Anderson (B) --- 8-3
1) Conrad Olson (M) led Stephen Sullivan (B) --- 7-5, 1-1
2) Andrew Thomson (M) def. Oscar Pena (B) --- 7-5, 6-1
3) Andrew Lee M) def. Tyler Anderson (B) --- 6-1, 6-4
4) Andrew Peters (M) def. Alex Caughron (B) --- 6-1, 6-1
5) Alex White (B) led Peter Odell (M) --- 6-2, 6-4
6) Jamie Neely (B) led Derrick Angle (M) --- 6-0, 4-3