Men's Tennis To Host NCAA Regional
May 10, 2010
The Middlebury College men's tennis team will make its ninth consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament when they host a regional on campus from May 14-16. Skidmore and Hunter will play on Friday, May 14th at 2:00, with the winner advancing to take on Middlebury at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 15th. M.I.T. will meet Stevens Institute in the other matchup on Saturday at 2:00 p.m., with the regional final slated for noon on Sunday, May 16th.
The Middlebury men have won 14 straight matches entering the regional, boasting an impressive 18-2 record. The Panthers have won 17 or more matches for seven straight seasons, advancing to the final four in six of those seven seasons. Middlebury boasts a 22-9 record in NCAA Tournament play since '02, winning the national title in '04. The Panthers followed that title up with two consecutive trips to the national championship match. Middlebury has also won six NESCAC Championships, including a 6-0 win over Williams a week ago. Middlebury is currently the top-ranked team in the nation in the latest ITA polls.
2010 NCAA DIVISION III MEN'S TENNIS REGIONAL
Hosted by Middlebury College, May 14-16
2010 NCAA Men's Tennis Regional - Middlebury College
First Round - Friday, May 14
Skidmore 5, Hunter 1
Second Round - Saturday, May 15
Middlebury 5, Skidmore 0
M.I.T. 5, Stevens Institute 3
Regional Finals - Sunday, May 16
Middlebury 5, M.I.T. 0
May 14, 2010
SKIDMORE EARNS NCAA TOURNEY WIN
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - Skidmore advanced to the second-round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament after a 5-1 win over Hunter at Middlebury College. The Thoroughbreds (10-10) will take on the host school (18-2) at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday in a second-round match, while M.I.T. (14-1) meets Stevens Institute (18-3) at 2:00 p.m. Hunter ends its season with a record of 15-4.
Skidmore took a commanding 3-0 lead after doubles play, earning three impressive wins. Spencer Cheng and Lorenzo Cabrera gave the Thoroughbreds a 1-0 lead at #1 with an 8-3 victory over Yevgeny Perepolov and Roy Forberg. Luke Granger and Max Bevan won by the same score over Alex Stanciu and Ian Katz at #2 to give Skidmore a 2-0 advantage. The #3 doubles match saw Alex Fromson and Jeremy Hogan come from down 4-2 to pick up an 8-4 win over Arthur Kapetanakis and Louis Cruz.
Hunter got on the board in singles play, as Perepolov made quick work of Granger, earning a 6-1, 6-0 win at #1. Skidmore took a 4-1 lead when Cabrera cruised to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Forberg at #3, before Hogan sealed the match at #6 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Katz. The Thoroughbreds took the first set in the other three singles matches, while leading in the second sets as well.
Final Score: Skidmore 5, Hunter 1
Singles Order Match Score
1. Yevgeny Perepolov (H) def. Luke Granger (S) - 6-1, 6-0 1 3-1 S
2. Spencer Cheng (S) led Alex Stanciu (H) - 7-5, 1-0
3. Lorenzo Cabrera (S) def. Roy Forberg (H) - 6-1, 6-2 2 4-1 S
4. Alex Fromson (S) led Arthur Kapetanakis (H) - 6-2, 5-1 |
5. Max Bevan (S) led Louis Cruz (H) - 6-3, 5-2
6. Jeremy Hogan (S) def. Ian Katz (H) - 6-3, 6-1 3 5-1 S
1. Cheng/Cabrera (S) def. Perepolov/Forberg (H) - 8-3 1 1-0 S
2. Granger/Bevan (S) def. Stanciu/Katz (H) - 8-3 2 2-0 S
3. Fromson/Hogan (S) def. Kapetanakis/Cruz (H) - 8-4 3 3-0 S
For Release: May 14, 2010
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - Middlebury advanced to the NCAA Regional finals by cruising to a 5-0 win over Skidmore (10-11). The top-ranked Panthers (19-2) lost just six of 70 games completed in singles play, dropping just five games in doubles. Middlebury will host the regional final on Sunday at noon, where they will take on the winner of the M.I.T./Stevens match played later today.
Andrew Thomson and Andrew Lee got things going for the Panthers, earning an 8-2 win over Spencer Cheng and Lorenzo Cabrera at #1. Eliot Jia and Conrad Olson were victors over Luke Granger and Max Bevan by the same score at #2, before Chris Mason and Andrew Peters earned an 8-1 victory over Alex Fromson and Jeremy Hogan in the third slot.
The Panthers needed just two wins in six singles matches, and wasted little time as Thomson made it a 4-0 match with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Fromson at #4. Jia sealed the victory as he cruised past Bevan 6-0, 6-0 for a win at #5 singles. Peters, Lee, Olson and Alex Parower were all up a set and leading in the second set when the match was halted.
Doubles Order Match Score
1. Thomson/Lee def. Cheng/Cabrera (S) - 8-2 1 1-0 M
2. Jia/Olson def. Granger/Bevan - 8-2 3 3-0 M
3. Chris Mason/Peters def. Fromson/Hogan - 8-1 2 2-0 M
1. Andrew Peters (M) led Luke Granger (S) - 6-1, 4-0 DNF
2. Andrew Lee (M) led Spencer Cheng (S) - 6-1, 2-1 DNF
3. Conrad Olson led Lorenzo Cabrera (S) - 6-0, 5-0 DNF
4. Andrew Thomson def. Alex Fromson (S) - 6-1, 6-0 1 4-0 M
5. Eliot Jia (M) def. Max Bevan (S) - 6-0, 6-0 2 5-0 M
6. Alex Parower (M) led Jeremy Hogan (S) - 6-1, 5-0 DNF
May 15, 2010
M.I.T. ADVANCES TO REGIONAL FINAL
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - M.I.T. held off a furious comeback from Stevens Institute to advance to the NCAA Regional finals with a 5-3 victory over the Ducks (18-4). The Engineers (15-1) will meet Middlebury (19-2) at noon on Sunday with a trip to the NCAA Quarterfinals on the line.
M.I.T. jumped out to a solid 3-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches. Kevin and Larry Pang started this off for the Engineers with an 8-3 win over Chris Rosensteel and Piotr Rusinkiewicz at #2. Ken Van Tilburg and Matthew Skalak made it a 2-0 match by topping Shota Tasaki and Arik Zeevy 8-1 in the top spot, before Andrew Cooper and Brian Oldfield were 8-6 victors over Gregory Klose and Jason Ringstad at #2.
M.I.T. increased its lead to 4-0 when Skalak quickly earned a 6-3, 6-0 win at #6 singles. Stevens then began its comeback, winning the next three singles matches to come within one at 4-3. Zeevy was a 6-1, 6-1 winner over L. Pang at #3, before Tasaka topped Van Tilburg 6-2, 6-3 in the #1 singles slot. Rosensteel kept the momentum going at #2, with a 6-3, 6-3 win over K. Pang. Tymor Hamamsy sealed the win for M.I.T, earning a 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 win over Rusinkiewicz at #5.
1. Ken Van Tilburg/Matthew Skalak (M) def. Shota Tasaki/Arik Zeevy (S) - 8-1 2
2. Kevin Pang/Larry Pang (M) def. Chris Rosensteel/Piotr Rusinkiewicz (S) - 8-3 1
3. Andrew Cooper/Brian Oldfield (M) def. Gregory Klose/Jason Ringstad (S) - 8-6 3
1. Tasaka (S) def. Van Tilburg (M) - 6-2, 6-3 3
2. Rosensteel (S) def. K. Pang (M) - 6-3, 6-3 4
3. Zeevy (S) def. L. Pang (M) - 6-1, 6-1 2
4. Ringstad (S) led Oldfield (M) - 6-4, 5-6 DNF
5. Tymor Hamamsy (M) def. Rusinkiewicz (S) - 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 5
6. Skalak (M) def. Klose (S) - 6-3, 6-0 1
May 15, 2010
MIDDLEBURY HEADED TO NCAA QUARTERS
MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - Eliot Jia and Conrad Olson wasted little time, topping Kevin and Larry Pang by a score of 8-0 at #2. Andrew Thomson and Andrew Lee led 4-3 before holding twice and breaking twice to earn an 8-3 win at #1 over Ken Van Tilburg and Matthew Skalak. A lengthy match at #3 saw Chris Mason and Andrew Peters defeat Andrew Cooper and Brian Oldfield, 8-3.
Lee gave the Panthers a 4-0 advantage, earning a quick 6-1, 6-2 win over K. Pang in the #2 singles slot. Thomson sealed the match for Middlebury 20 minutes later, defeating Oldfield 6-2, 6-2 in the fourth spot. Olson was nearing a victory for the Panthers at #3, while M.I.T.'s Van Tilburg took the first set from Peters at #1 singles. Jia/Hamamsy at #5 and Peter Odell/Skalak at #6 had each won a set and were battling in the third when the match ended.
1. Thomson/Lee def. Van Tilburg/Skalak (Mi) - 8-3 2 2-0 M
2. Jia/Olson def. Pang/Pang (Mi) - 8-0 1 1-0 M
3. Chris Mason/Peters def. Andrew Cooper/Oldfield (Mi) - 8-3 3 3-0
Singles Order Match Score
1. Ken Van Tilburg (Mi) led Andrew Peters (M) - 7-6 (5), 2-1 DNF
2. Andrew Lee (M) def. Kevin Pang (Mi) - 6-1, 6-2
1 4-0 M
3. Conrad Olson (M) led Larry Pang (Mi) - 6-4, 5-2 DNF
4. Andrew Thomson (M) def. Brian Oldfield (Mi) - 6-2, 6-2 2 5-0 M
5. Tymor Hamamsy (Mi) led Eliot Jia (M) - 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 DNF
6. Peter Odell (M) led Matthew Skalak (Mi) - 4-6, 6-3, 2-1 DNF