Men's Tennis Advances
May 15, 2010
Middlebury advanced to the NCAA Regional finals by cruising to a 5-0 win over Skidmore (10-11). The top-ranked Panthers (19-2) lost just six of 70 games completed in singles play, dropping just five games in doubles. Middlebury will host the regional final on Sunday at noon, where they will take on M.I.T.
Andrew Thomson and Andrew Lee got things going for the Panthers, earning an 8-2 win over Spencer Cheng and Lorenzo Cabrera at #1. Eliot Jia and Conrad Olson were victors over Luke Granger and Max Bevan by the same score at #2, before Chris Mason and Andrew Peters earned an 8-1 victory over Alex Fromson and Jeremy Hogan in the third slot.
The Panthers needed just two wins in six singles matches, and wasted little time as Thomson made it a 4-0 match with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Fromson at #4. Jia sealed the victory as he cruised past Bevan 6-0, 6-0 for a win at #5 singles. Peters, Lee, Olson and Alex Parower were all up a set and leading in the second set when the match was halted.
Middlebury 5, Skidmore 0
Doubles Order Match Score
1. Thomson/Lee def. Cheng/Cabrera (S) - 8-2 1 1-0 M
2. Jia/Olson def. Granger/Bevan - 8-2 3 3-0 M
3. Chris Mason/Peters def. Fromson/Hogan - 8-1 2 2-0 M
1. Andrew Peters (M) led Luke Granger (S) - 6-1, 4-0 DNF
2. Andrew Lee (M) led Spencer Cheng (S) - 6-1, 2-1 DNF
3. Conrad Olson led Lorenzo Cabrera (S) - 6-0, 5-0 DNF
4. Andrew Thomson def. Alex Fromson (S) - 6-1, 6-0 1 4-0 M
5. Eliot Jia (M) def. Max Bevan (S) - 6-0, 6-0 2 5-0 M
6. Alex Parower (M) led Jeremy Hogan (S) - 6-1, 5-0 DNF