Men's Tennis Wins NCAA Regional
May 16, 2010
Middlebury advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals for the eighth straight year, with a 5-0 win over M.I.T. (15-2) in an NCAA Regional final match on campus. The top-ranked Panthers (20-2) have now won 16 straight matches and record their fourth 20-win season. Middlebury will take part in the NCAA Championship week beginning on Tuesday, May 25th at Oberlin College in Ohio.
Eliot Jia and Conrad Olson wasted little time, topping Kevin and Larry Pang by a score of 8-0 at #2. Andrew Thomson and Andrew Lee led 4-3 before holding twice and breaking twice to earn an 8-3 win at #1 over Ken Van Tilburg and Matthew Skalak. A lengthy match at #3 saw Chris Mason and Andrew Peters defeat Andrew Cooper and Brian Oldfield, 8-3.
Lee gave the Panthers a 4-0 advantage, earning a quick 6-1, 6-2 win over K. Pang in the #2 singles slot. Thomson sealed the match for Middlebury 20 minutes later, defeating Oldfield 6-2, 6-2 in the fourth spot. Olson was nearing a victory for the Panthers at #3, while M.I.T.’s Van Tilburg took the first set from Peters at #1 singles. Jia/Hamamsy at #5 and Peter Odell/Skalak at #6 had each won a set and were battling in the third when the match ended
Middlebury 5, MIT 0
1. Thomson/Lee def. Van Tilburg/Skalak (Mi) - 8-3 2
2. Jia/Olson def. Pang/Pang (Mi) - 8-0 1
3. Chris Mason/Peters def. Andrew Cooper/Oldfield (Mi) - 8-3 3
1. Ken Van Tilburg (Mi) led Andrew Peters (M) - 7-6 (5), 2-1 DNF
2. Andrew Lee (M) def. Kevin Pang (Mi) - 6-1, 6-2 1
3. Conrad Olson (M) led Larry Pang (Mi) - 6-4, 5-2 DNF
4. Andrew Thomson (M) def. Brian Oldfield (Mi) - 6-2, 6-2 2
5. Tymor Hamamsy (Mi) led Eliot Jia (M) - 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 DNF
6. Peter Odell (M) led Matthew Skalak (Mi) - 4-6, 6-3, 2-1 DNF