Softball Team Prepares For NESCAC Tourney
April 27, 2004
4/27/04 - For the second consecutive year, the Middlebury College softball team will take part in the NESCAC Tournament. The Panthers will take on Bowdoin at Williams on Friday, in a three-day double-elimination tournament.
Middlebury softball, now in just its seventh year of existence, has risen to the top as one of the best teams in the NESCAC. They are sporting a school-record 20 wins in '04, to go against just six losses. Middlebury has won 13 of 14 games and ended NESCAC play with a 7-1 record, leaving them in a first place tie with Williams. Unfortunately for Middlebury, the Ephs won the tiebreaker and the right to host this weekend's tournament.
Leading Middlebury at the plate this season have been Megan McCarthy (.397), Michaela George (.392, 6 2B, 22 RBI), Lauren Guza (.376), Christina Freyer (.375, 2 HR, 16 RBI) and Kathryn Hurd (.368, 5 2B, 17 RBI). McCarthy has been the team's ace, sporting a 7-2 record with a 0.78 ERA and 54 strikeouts over 63 innings. Lauren Bowe (7-4, 1.91 ERA) and Jennifer Williams (6-0, 1.48 ERA) have also both been very effective.
2004 NESCAC Softball Tournament - Williams College
Friday, April 30th
(1) Tufts (16-14) vs. Williams (25-6) - 2:30 p.m.
(2) Middlebury (20-6) vs. Bowdoin (21-8) - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 1st
(3) Game 1 loser vs. game 2 loser - 10:00 a.m.
(4) Game 1 winner vs. game 2 winner - 12:30 p.m.
(5) Game 3 winner vs. game 4 loser - 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 2nd
(6) Game 4 winner vs. game 5 winner - 10:00 a.m.
(7) Game two if necessary - 12:30 p.m.
Game # listed in (x)