Women's Lacrosse Knocked Off In NESCAC Quarters

April 26, 2014

Sixth-seeded Colby knocked off third-seeded Middlebury for the second-straight Saturday, this time eliminating the eighth-ranked Panthers (11-5) from the NESCAC Tournament. The 11th-ranked Mules improve to 9-5 on the year, advancing to next weekend’s semifinal round at Trinity where they will meet the host school.

Middlebury kept Colby off the board for the game’s first 23 minutes, taking a 6-0 lead at the 8:42 mark of the first half. Laurel Pascal opened the scoring, before Katie Ritter and Pascal scored 26 seconds apart to make it a 4-0 game. Ritter found the back of the net on a great quick-stick feed from Megan Griffin, before converting a free position with a low bouncing shot to put her team up 5-0 with 9:15 remaining. Pascal scored her third goal of the run just 33 seconds later after a nice spin move around a defender.

Colby got things going at the 7:00 mark when Sara Miller converted a pass from behind the goal from Alex Mintz. The goal was the first of a six-goal run, five of them coming in the first half. Sarah Lux cut around defenders to make it a 6-2 game before Katharine Eddy converted a free position just 44 seconds later. Eddy found Lindsey McKenna with a quick feed inside with just 37 seconds remaining, before Eddy made it a one-goal game with just two seconds left in the first half.

After struggling to clear the ball a week ago, the Panthers went 13-13 in the first half and held a 7-3 edge in draw controls. Colby turned things around in the second half, winning 8-11 draws to get back into the game and maintain an edge in possession.

McKenna tied the game less than a minute into the second half, scoring on a low show after an assist from Eddy. Middlebury took advantage of a yellow card, scoring with a player advantage as Mary O’Connell converted a feed from Alli Sciarretta.

McKenna backed in and scored with a spin move for the Mules at 22:40, tying the game at 7-7. The Panthers answered with a two-goal spurt to take a 9-7 lead. Ritter cut through the middle and scored before finding Griffin cutting hard to the goal with 17:41 remaining. Miller scored on a free position to bring her team within one at 9-8, before neither team scored for nearly eight minutes.

Katie Griffin scored with an assist from Miller, as the Mules tied the game at 9-9 with a transition goal after a big save from Claire Dickson on the other end of the field. The Mules took their first lead of the game with 4:15 remaining when Abby Hooper scored with a quick shot on a feed from Eddy on the left side. The pair hooked up again with 2:15 remaining, when Colby converted after taking time off the clock as Hooper cut through a wide-open middle.

Middlebury won the ensuing draw and quickly moved down the field, making it a one-goal game at 11-10 with 1:59 remaining. Pascal made a quick pass over the top to Liza Herzog, who quickly turned and scored.

Colby won the draw, but Herzog later picked off a pass as the Panthers headed downfield with under a minute remaining, looking to tie the game. The Panthers were only able to muster a partially deflected shot with 30 seconds left, as Colby gained possession and ran out the clock.

Pascal paced Middlebury with four goals, while Ritter earned three to go along with three caused turnovers and a pair of ground balls. Maggie Caputi had three draw controls and a pair of ground balls. Alyssa Palomba finished with six saves in goal.

McKenna led Colby with three goals, Eddy finished with a pair and four assists, while Miller and Hooper each scored twice. Michelle Burt made four saves in the first half, while Claire Dickson earned the win with three second-half saves.

These two teams met a just week ago on Kohn Field, with Colby emerging with a 14-11 victory. The Mules are now 4-1 vs. the Panthers in the last four NESCAC Tournament meetings dating back to ’08.