Women's Tennis Falls In NCAA Semifinals
May 19, 2005
5/19/05 - The Middlebury College women's tennis season saw its most successful season in school history come to an end as they fell 5-3 to Washington & Lee in the NCAA semifinals at Kalamazoo College in Michigan. The Panthers have one match left in their season, as they will take part in the third-place match on Friday morning.
Middlebury got off to a great start, taking all three doubles matches by scores of 8-6. The teams of Jackie Ross/Claire Smyser, Amanda Berck/Amy Roche and Emily Holick/Maren Messing all earned wins to put the Panthers up 3-0.
Singles play didn't go as well, as Roche fell 6-1, 6-0, Berck was defeated 6-2, 6-2, before W&L tied the match as Smyser was defeated 6-4, 6-4. The Generals took a 4-3 lead when Ross lost in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. W&L sealed the win when Holick was defeated 7-6, 2-6, 6-3. Berkman's match at #6 singles was suspended since the match had been decided.
Final Score: Washington & Lee 5, Middlebury 3
1. Lindsay Hagerman defeats Amy Roche (M), 6-1, 6-0
2. Kristen McClung defeats Jackie Ross (M), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
3. Emily Applegate defeats Amanda Berck (M), 6-2, 6-2
4. Ginny Wortham defeats Claire Smyser (M), 6-4, 6-4
5. Leah Weston defeats Emily Holick (M), 7-6 (5), 2-6, 6-3
6. Katie Kingsbury vs. Amy Berkman (M) (DNF)
1. Ross/Smyser (M) defeat Hagerman/Worthman, 8-6
2. Berck/Roche (M) defeat Applegate/McClung, 8-6
3. Holick/Maren Messing (M) defeat Lora Farris/Weston, 8-6