Women's Tennis Advances NCAA Semi's
May 18, 2005
5/18/05 - Middlebury has advanced to the NCAA semifinals after a 5-4 win over Gustavus Adolphus in the NCAA quarterfinals at Kalamazoo College in Michigan. The Panthers will take on Washington & Lee, a 5-1 winner over <?xml:namespace prefix = "st1" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Denison, in a semifinal contest at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
The Panthers trailed the match 2-1 after dropping two of three doubles matches. Amy Roche cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win to tie the match at two, before Claire Smyser fell 6-3, 6-2, giving Gustavus Adolphus a 3-2 lead. NESCAC rookie of the year Amanda Berck tied the match at three with a 6-4, 6-1 win, before Emily Holick gave the Panthers their first lead of the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win. The Gusties came back, as Amy Berkman fell 6-4, 7-6, tying the match at four.
The match came down to Jackie Ross in the #2 singles slot for the Panthers. Ross won the first set 6-1, but fell 7-6 in the second set, despite having a pair of match points. Ross battled back in the third set to pick up a 6-1 win to seal the win.
Final Score: Middlebury 5, Gustavus Adolphus 4
1. Amy Roche (M) defeats Tara Houlihan, 6-0, 6-0
2. Jackie Ross (M) defeats Lauren Hom, 6-1, 6-7, 6-1
3. Amanda Berck (M) defeats Kara Smiley, 6-4, 6-1
4. Lyndsey Palen defeats Claire Smyser (M), 6-3, 6-2
5. Emily Holick (M) defeats Jaime Gaard, 6-2, 6-3
6. Marla Menne defeats Amy Berkman (M), 6-4, 7-6
1. Ross/Smyser (M) defeat Houlihan/Palen, 8-4
2. Hom/Smiley defeat Berck/Roche (M), 8-5
3. Menne/Jenni White defeat Holick/Maren Messing (M), 8-6