Women's Tennis Ends Season In NCAA Regional Finals
May 10, 2009
After an NCAA Tournament win on Saturday, the Middlebury women's tennis team saw its season come to an end (11-10) with a 5-1 loss to defending NCAA Champion Williams (19-2) in a regional final contest. The two conference opponents had already faced off twice earlier in the season, with Williams taking both matches. The match was tighter today than it had been in previous contests, as the two of three unfinished matches were involved in three set battles while the third unfinished match appeared in Middlebury's control.
In doubles play, Williams' Annie Hancock and Kristin Alotta fell at court three to Jamie Haar and Victoria Aiello of Middlebury, 8-4. The Ephs took the matches at courts one and two by 8-6 scores to own a 2-1 advantage.
Alotta redeemed her doubles loss by tallying the first singles point for the Ephs. She defeated Clare Burke at court two, 6-0, 6-3. Nikki Reich followed shortly at court three, beating the Middlebury's Elizabeth Stone, 6-2, 6-2. Lucy Marchese, after taking a first set tiebreak, closed out the match with a 6-2 win in set two.
Williams 5, Middlebury 1
1) Gibson/Reich (W) def. Stone/Kurien (M) --- 8-6
2) Baljon/French (W) def. Burke/Burke (W) --- 8-6
3) Haar/Aiello (M) def. Hancock/Alotta (W) --- 8-4
1) Grace Baljon (W) vs. Victoria Aiello (M) --- 6-7(1), 6-1, 3-3
2) Chandra Kurien (M) led Cary Gibson (W) --- 4-6, 6-2, 3-2
3) Nikki Reich (W) def. Elizabeth Stone (M) --- 6-2, 6-2
4) Kristin Alotta (W) def. Clare Burke (M) --- 6-0, 6-3
5) Lucy Marchese (W) def. Anna Burke (M) --- 7-6(5), 6-2
6) Jamie Haar (M) led Annie Hancock (W) --- 6-3, 5-4