Women's Tennis Earns NESCAC First-Round Win
May 3, 2013
Taking two of three doubles matches, the fourth-seeded Middlebury Panthers cruised to a 5-1 first round victory over fifth-seeded Tufts (8-9) in a NESCAC quarterfinal match at Amherst. The Panthers (11-5) will take on the top-seeded Jeffs at 1:00 on Saturday.
Staking the Panthers to an early lead, Lok-Sze Leung and Ria Gerger cruised to an 8-1 victory over Lindsay Katz and Samantha Gann at second doubles. Brittany Faber and Leah Kepping followed suit with an 8-0 decision over Shelci Bowman and Lauren Hollender in the top slot before Sophie Schonfeld and Janice Lam put Tufts on the board with an 8-4 triumph over Margot Marchese and Lauren Amos .
Leung kept Middlebury rolling at first singles, dropping just one game to Katz in a 6-1, 6-0 decision. Gerger then put the Panthers one win away with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Gann. Dorrie Paradies closed out the match with a 6-3, 6-4, win over Lam at fifth singles.
1. Lok-Sze Leung (MIDD) def. Lindsay Katz (TUF) 6-1, 6-0
2. Ria Gerger (MIDD) def. Samantha Gann (TUF) 6-0, 6-0
3. Leah Kepping (MIDD) vs. Lauren Hollender (TUF) 1-6, 6-4, unfinished
4. Margot Marchese (MIDD) vs. Sophie Schonfeld (TUF) 1-6, unfinished
5. Dorrie Paradies (MIDD) def. Janice Lam (TUF) 6-3, 6-4
6. Brittany Faber (MIDD) vs. Catherine Worley (TUF) 2-6, 6-1, unfinished
1. Brittany Faber/Leah Kepping (MIDD) def. Shelci Bowman/Lauren Hollender (TUF) 8-0
2. Lok-Sze Leung/Ria Gerger (MIDD) def. Lindsay Katz/Samantha Gann (TUF) 8-1
3. Sophie Schonfeld/Janice Lam (TUF) def. Margot Marchese/Lauren Amos (MIDD) 8-4