Incompletes, Withdrawals, and Academic Probation


Students are expected to complete all required course work by the last day of class (or, in the case of students who have received permission to leave early, before they leave campus for the summer). Students who have not turned in all required work by that deadline must request approval for an Incomplete or will receive an F in the course.

Students may request approval for an incomplete in cases when a family, medical, or personal emergency prohibits the completion of the course work. In order to be approved for an incomplete, before leaving campus they must:

  • receive preliminary approval from the Bread Loaf director or associate director;
  • consult with their professors to determine what, and by what date (usually within 30 days of the end of the session), work needs to be completed;
  • submit a Request for Incomplete Grade form to the Bread Loaf office for final approval by the director; the form details what work needs to be done, and both the student and the faculty member must sign this form.

Students will submit finished course work to the main Bread Loaf office, and the office will forward the work to the faculty for evaluation. In cases where the work is not submitted by the established deadline, the INC will be changed to an F.

Course Withdrawals

Students may request to withdraw from a course for academic, medical, emergency, or other reasons, at any point. Dropping and adding a course during the drop/add period does not constitute “withdrawal”: withdrawal applies only when students are withdrawing from a course without taking another in its place.                            

  • To withdraw from a course, students must notify the Bread Loaf director or on-site director (in person if possible).
  • If the student withdraws from a course by the end of the drop/add period (see Drop/Add), no courses or grades will appear on the student’s transcript.
  • If the student withdraws from a course after the drop/add period, courses will be listed on the transcript and assigned a grade of either WD pass or WD fail, depending on the status of his or her work at the time of the withdrawal.
  • If a student withdraws from  a course for medical reasons or family emergencies, the Bread Loaf director will determine whether courses or WD grades will be listed on the transcript.

Students who withdraw from a course will forfeit their enrollment deposits, but may, with the approval of the director, receive refunds for any additional amounts paid, as follows:

  • 60% tuition for that course if the withdrawal happens during the first week of classes;
  • 20% tuition for that course if the withdrawal happens during the second week of classes;
  • no refunds after the second week of classes (see Refunds). 

Middlebury reserves the right to require a student to withdraw from the program (see Emergency Withdrawal, Suspension, or Dismissal).

Academic Probation

MA students who have earned one B- or lower, and MLitt students who have earned one B or lower, in a Bread Loaf course will automatically be placed on academic probation. 

  • At the end of the summer session, students will be notified in writing of their probationary status.
  • During the probationary period, all course and campus choices will need to be preapproved by the director: students should e-mail their course and campus preferences to the director (via Elaine Lathrop) before registering.
  • Ordinarily, students on probation will not be enrolled at the Oxford campus and will not be eligible to pursue an IRP or take a course overload. 
  • The director will review the student’s progress at the end of the probationary summer and determine whether the student’s work has improved sufficiently to warrant ending the probationary period. Students will be notified in writing of the determination.

Students found to have plagiarized will be placed on permanent probation (see Plagiarism).