Apply to FoodWorks

How to Apply

The application for the FoodWorks Fellowship is open. Just click on the button below to get started:

Apply Now


  1. Online application
  2. Transcript
  3. Resume
  4. One page cover letter stating why you would like to be a FoodWorks Fellow


Sunday June 4 to Friday August 4, 2017


Fellows gain first-hand experience of food systems and life’s essential skills as well as one college course credit (or the equivalent of 3 semester-hour credits).


$1500 Tuition

Housing is available and is a separate cost. 

Middlebury, VT apx. $1000 : Students are housed in singles or doubles together in Weybridge House, which has a big kitchen and communal living space. 

Fees Do Not Include: Housing, airfare or meals not included in the program. A meal plan is available at Middlebury College.


Financial Aid Availability

Financial aid is availble to Middlebury students based on need.  Applying early is best because awards take time. The February 15th deadline will be awarded in March. After February 15th, awards will not be given until April due to scheduling. 

Application Deadlines

Round 1: December 31st

Round 2: February 15th

Round 3: April 1st 

There will be three rounds of applications. We will notify you of our admissions decision within two weeks of your application being submitted.

You will then be provided with internship choices and an opportunity to interview with employers. The sooner you apply, the more internship choices you will have.

Once you have been accepted, we require a $200 deposit to hold your place. If you are unable to secure an internship, your $200 deposit will be refunded. Admission is for one summer only and cannot be deferred.

After the February 15th deadline, should there still be places, we will acceptapplications on a rolling basis until April 1st.


The College Handbook Summer Study Page:

 Please note the following:

4. Summer Study course registration: 

a. Students are not required to enroll in any Summer Study offering.  Students who do enroll must have already matriculated: they may not take a Summer Study course in advance of their first semester or term as Middlebury students. 

Our Commitment to Diversity

It's a fact of nature: diversity in any system produces greater strength and resilience.  To change our environmental future, we’ll need people of every background to become involved and engaged in active and effective cross-cultural communication. We welcome what you can bring to this important work.

Can International Students Participate in FoodWorks?

Non-U.S. citizens must have a valid U.S. visa status that allows for full-time study for the duration of the FoodWorks program to be eligible to participate in this program. (Note: U.S. lawful permanent residents are eligible to attend.)

International students in F-1 visa status who already have a valid Form I-20 from a U.S. academic institution (college or university) that they attend during the academic year may apply to the FoodWorks program if they meet the following requirements:

-They will maintain F-1 status and have an active SEVIS record with their U.S. academic institution while participating in the FoodWorks program (from start date through end date).

-They have consulted an international advisor at their U.S. academic institution and received confirmation that they are eligible to participate in the FoodWorks program.

International students in another visa status may contact International Student & Scholar Services to confirm whether they are eligible to participate.

Because FoodWorks offers a practicum experience and a non-qualified scholarship payment to each student, participants will need an appropriate authorization to receive it.  F-1 students will need authorization for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or, if eligible, Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  Please be aware that OPT and CPT must be directly related to a student’s major field of study.  Students who fail to obtain the necessary authorization prior to the start of FoodWorks will not be allowed to participate in the program.