An important gift opportunity for alumni, parents, and friends age 70 1/2 or older
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, signed into law on December 17, 2010 by President Obama, allows individuals age of 70 ½ and older to make charitable distributions of up to $100,000 from a traditional or Roth IRA directly to charity, such as Middlebury College.
The extension is effective for 2010 and 2011. A special provision allows interested donors to make distributions that will be treated as made in 2010 if completed by January 31, 2011.
- The IRA plan administrator must issue the distribution directly to Middlebury and will need the following:
- Middlebury's legal name is "The President and Fellows of Middlebury College"
- Tax ID number is 03-0179298
- Mailing address is Gift Administration, 5 Court Street, Middlebury, VT 05753
- These distributions will not be subject to federal income tax and can count toward the required minimum distribution.
- IRA Rollover gifts do not result in a federal income tax deduction.
- This gift opportunity is for traditional IRA and Roth IRAs only, and does not apply to distributions from an employer-sponsored retirement plan, such as a Simple IRA, 401(k), or 403(b).
- This gift opportunity is available now through December 31, 2011, and retroactive to January 1, 2010, if a gift was already received by Middlebury from the IRA plan administrator.
- An individual may make as many distributions to as many qualified charities as he or she wishes, so long as the total of those distributions does not exceed $100,000 in each year.
- IRA Rollover gifts cannot be used to establish charitable gift annuities or charitable remainder trusts.
Please alert us if you plan to make an IRA rollover gift. These gifts sometimes arrive from plan administrations without donor identification. Call us toll free at 1-866-496-6433 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
- Click here for a sample letter from you, the donor, to Middlebury in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click here for a sample letter from you, the donor, to Middlebury that you can edit in Microsoft Word.
- Click here for a sample letter from you, the donor, to your IRA plan administrator in Adobe Acrobat.
- Click here for a sample letter from you, the donor, to your IRA plan administrator that you can edit in Microsoft Word.
- Be sure to check with your IRA plan administrator for specific forms they may require.
Contact us toll free at 1-866-496-6433 if you have any questions about this gift opportunity or if you would like assistance in making a gift to Middlebury.