Language Schools Scholarships for Students attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions, or Tribal Colleges
In the summer of 2017, the Middlebury Language Schools will offer scholarships for students enrolled at Historically Black Colleges, Tribal Colleges, and Hispanic Serving Institutions.
Recipients of these scholarships will receive funding to cover the comprehensive fee (tuition, room & board) for one summer of language study.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Meet all requirements for Language School admission.
- Be currently enrolled full-time at either a Historically Black College and University or a Hispanic Serving Institution or a Tribal College/University.
- Show strong demonstrated interest (could include but not limited to previous coursework, volunteer work using language, internship, travel, or study abroad) in any of the eleven languages taught.
- Show high academic achievement
- Have the support of their home institution.
This opportunity is open to all students who meet the above criteria, regardless of citizenship. Because these scholarships are limited and highly competitive, students are strongly encouraged to also apply for regular need-based Middlebury summer financial aid.
How to Apply
All components of the application must be received by the application deadline, December 15, 2016 (Eastern Time):
1. Middlebury Language Schools online application
2. Application fee ($75 or fee waiver)
3. Official transcript(s)
4. Letter(s) of recommendation for the Language Schools program
5. Online Scholarship Form*
6. A brief essay* explaining why you wish to study a foreign language and how you plan to use the language skills you acquire. Why are you passionate about language? This is in addition to the essay required for the School application. Please submit on the online scholarship form.
7. An additional letter of recommendation from a dean, faculty member, or program director indicating that your home institution supoprts your application for this scholarship.**
*Once you submit your admission application to the Language Schools, you will receive an email/link to your application tracker. The online scholarship form and place to upload your essay is available through the link after you have submitted your application.
**The additional letter of support should be sent to
Middlebury Langauge Schools
14 Old Chapel Road
Middlebury, VT 05753
or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notification of Scholarship
Students will be notified by email on or around February 1 of the status of the scholarship.