Through the accomplishments first of the College's summer Language Schools, and extending now into our undergraduate language departments, our Schools Abroad, the Middlebury Institute of International Studies and the Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy, Middlebury is recognized as the leader in the teaching of languages, literature and culture.
Middlebury Language Schools
- 1915 / The first Middlebury Language School, the German School, was established. Today, there are schools in 10 languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish, and more than 40,000 alumni worldwide.
- 2007 / Middlebury Language Schools added a master’s degree program in Chinese to its existing graduate degree programs in French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish.
- 2008 / The newest Middlebury College Language School, the Hebrew School, was founded.
- 2009 / Middlebury Language Schools opened an additional site at Mills College in Oakland, Calif., to allow for the expansion of the graduate level Arabic program. French and Spanish are also offered at Mills.
- 2010 / Middlebury Language Schools and K12, the largest provider of online pre-college education, establish a for-profit company that will provide language instruction in two forms for pre-college students — through online courses and the expansion of Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy.
Middlebury Schools Abroad
- 1949 / Middlebury College opened its first School Abroad in France, at the University of Paris. Today, the C.V. Starr-Middlebury Schools Abroad operate 34 sites in 12 countries where students study at local universities in the native language.
- 2007 / C.V. Starr-Middlebury School Abroad opened its first Middle East site in Alexandria, Egypt.
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
- 2005 / Middlebury College affiliated with the Monterey Institute of International Studies in 2005. The Institute merged with Middlebury on July 1, 2010, and was renamed the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey on January 7, 2015.
Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy
- 2008 / College established Middlebury-Monterey Language Academy, a summer language immersion camp, for students in grades 8-12. MMLA also operates sites at Green Mountain College in Poultney, Vt., and, in conjunction with the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth, at Bard College at Simon's Rock in Great Barrington, Mass.
- 2009 / MMLA opened an additional site at Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio.
- 2010 / MMLA opened a fourth site at Pomona College in Claremont, California.