COVID-19: Essential Information

Flexible Spending Accounts

BPI Logo

Our health care and dependent care FSAs are administered by Business Plans, Inc. (BPI), through their “MyCafeteriaPlan” FSA service.

The MyCafeteriaPlan website and mobile app are excellent sources of real-time information and are easy to use. Instructions for setting up an account can be obtained by contacting customer service at MyCafeteriaPlan.  You will have several options for claims filing, including uploading claims to the website or app, faxing or mailing. 

Middlebury offers Flexible Spending Accounts so that employees can save money when paying for qualifying medical services or dependent care. 

Why Enroll in a Flex Spending Account?

More money in your pocket!  By joining an FSA plan, you avoid paying federal, state and FICA taxes on monies you set aside in your FSA.  Since your taxable income is reduced, your taxes are also reduced, keeping more usable money in your pocket.

Health Care Flexible Spending Account

Pay for unreimbursed medical expenses incurred by you or your dependents (except domestic/Civil Union partners/spouses).  There are hundreds of eligible expenses including prescriptions, deductibles, co-insurance, eye glasses, dental expenses, etc. You can see all of the IRS eligible expenses on the MyCafeteriaPlan website or App.

Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account

Pay day care expenses for dependent children under age 13 (or older if dependent is unable to care for themselves) while you are at work.  Before and after school care, licensed day care centers, nursery schools and pre-schools all qualify.  Logon to the MyCafeteriaPlan website or App for more information.

How Much Money Should I Put in My Flex Account?

FSA plans are highly regulated by the IRS since you are not paying taxes on the monies put into these accounts.  One of the strictest rules imposed by the IRS is the "Use it or Lose it" rule. Therefore you should budget carefully when deciding your annual election. The IRS allows up to $500 of unused Health Care FSA funds to rollover for use in the following plan year. There is no rollover allowed for the Dependent Care FSA.

There are two ways to access your FSA funds:

  • You may pay for eligible expenses using cash or check and then submit for reimbursement by completing a FSA Claim form with a itemized receipt or explanation of benefits; or
  • You may pay for eligible expenses using your "Flex Card" that will be issued when you first enroll in the FSA plan. 

How can I see my Flex Account balance and recent transactions?

Click here to log into the MyCafeteriaPlan website. 

What is the "Flex Card"?

The "Flex Card" is a debit card issued by Visa.  The "Flex Card" can be used to access funds in your Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts.  Every participant in the FSA plan will be issued a blue "Flex Card".  By allowing immediate access to funds in your FSA your "Flex Card" helps with cash flow and in limited situations it may reduce your paperwork.  However, claims often need to be substantiated and therefore all receipts should be retained.  The "Flex Card" is provided as a convenience.  If you choose not to use the "Flex Card" you may use the app or send in paper claims forms with the proper documentation for reimbursement. Please review these important “Tips to Making the Most of Your Flex Card


Human Resources
Marble Works
152 Maple St.
Suites 101 & 102
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: 802-443-5465
Fax: 802-443-2920
Benefits Fax: 802-443-2058