Changing/Updating a Job Description
PeopleAdmin is where all of the staff job descriptions are now stored. This enables us to build our postings off of our job descriptions and capture updates and changes that occur during the posting process. In addition, you may complete the following steps to update a job description when you do NOT need the position posted.
- Log in to PeopleAdmin here: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/hr. (For information on login credentials click here.)
- Check to be sure that you are in the Position Management module. To confirm this, look in the upper right hand corner of your screen. Directly below the PeopleAdmin wordmark is the module selection box. Click the arrow next to the field to select Position Management if it is not already selected.
- Click on the Position Descriptions tab and select Staff. Locate the position that you wish to modify. Click on the Position Title (blue text).
- You will now be able to view the information for this position. On the right hand side of the screen you will see three starred options. Select to “Request Job Description and/or Band/Level Change (No post)”.
- You will be prompted with a message that notifies you that this action will lock the job description while you are processing this action. Click Start.
- On the Classification screen click Next. Classifications are set and maintained by the Human Resources department.
- On the Position Information page select the type of action you wish to take on this position. Valid options include: Job/Description Change or Band/Level Change. Fill in or update all other fields as necessary. Click Next. Please note: in regards to the "Essential Functions" field a job function is considered "essential" when performance of the function is the reason that the job exists. A function may be "essential" when: the number of employees available to perform the function is limited, the function requires specialized skills, the function occupies a large percentage of time, and failure to perform the function may have serious consequences.
- On the Supervisor page select the radio set next to the supervisor that should be linked to this position. Then click Next.
- On the Position Documents field click the Actions drop down next to the organizational chart document type listing and upload or create the org chart that should be linked to this requisition. If you need to provide additional explanation or support for your request, click the Actions drop down next to the Additional Document to link a document with this information to your request. Click Next. (The Physical Demands document will be maintained by the Human Resources department.)
- Click Next. At this point you will be taken to the Action Summary page where you can review all of the information that you just entered. If you neglected to complete any required fields there should be a red explanation mark next to that section. Click the Edit option next to that section to add information.
- When you are ready to submit your requisition for approval Click the orange “Take Action on Action” button on the upper right hand section of your screen. The next step in the approval process is a review of your submitted job description, so select the “JD Review (move to JD Review)” action.
- A Take Action dialog box will appear. Enter any comments that you would like to link to the requisition. This information will be saved in the req history so any approver can view this information. In addition, it will be brought to the JD Reviewer’s attention in an email message that is sent to this user type. This is a good place to explain the specific change that you are requesting. (For example, Added job duties and adjusting band/level from OP1 to OP2.)
- Selecting the “Add this action to your watch list?” option will allow you to track the progress of this approval through your Watch List dialog box on the Home tab. (We recommend that most users take advantage of this handy feature!)
- Click Submit.
- If you have forgotten to complete any required fields you will be notified with a message at the top of the screen. Complete the necessary fields and repeat steps 6 - 11.
To view a web tutorial of this process, use the video below. (We suggest maximizing the video image.)