Position Number: 900086
Department or Office: Science Technical Support Services
Level: Level B (Skilled)
Date Prepared: 05-11-2010
Student Employment Information
Work Study: No
To maintain plant specimen in Brooks Botany Greenhouse. Verify environmental conditions, water plants, fertilize, scout for pests and apply appropriate action in treating infestations or disease.
- Monitor environmental conditions, noting of peaks in heat or extreme cold.
- Learn and practice Integrated Pest Management by scouting daily, recording and identification of pests, counting populations, tracking life cycles, and suggesting treatment times.
- Understand the symptoms of plant disease, stress and infestations.
- Fertilize following an established schedule.
- Prune plants and remove dead material.
- Transplant or divide plants as needed. Ensuring identification tags are with plants at all times.
- Clean the facility. Sweep the head house, vacuums the greenhouses and weekly application of algaecide to floors.
Preference given to students having related work experience in horticulture through education or working in landscaping or nursery work.
Must be responsible. Available to work either Saturday or Sunday. Detail oriented and able to work with little supervision. Good communication skills required.