First Year Experience Coordinator
Position Number: 900610
Department or Office: Civic Engagement
Level: Level B (Skilled)
We are seeking a student staff member who is enthusiastic about community-service and activism who would like to work with the ACE staff to promote local engagement among new Febs and First-Year students. This is a rewarding position that will enable you to work with students and community partners in an office committed to engaging the campus in its service initiatives.
This paid position includes two hours weekly work in the ACE office and one hour weekly outside the ACE office working to promote and coordinate first-year student community service and related initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with ACE to plan and facilitate community service opportunities for first-years and new Feb students.
- Work with key people in the Commons and communicate with them regularly to facilitate Commons-based community service events (First-Year Coordinators, Dean, Coordinator, CRAs, Co-Chairs, Council Members).
- Help to organize group community service activities throughout Spring 2008.
- Make yourself and your role known to first-years and Feb students and help match them with on- and off-campus activism and service opportunities.
- Report back to ACE on first-years and Feb students and their service- and advocacy-related initiatives and recommend ways in which the office can support them.
- Encourage first-years and Feb students to connect to the ACE office as appropriate.
- Assist ACE staff in completing and implementing office initiatives and administrative projects.
Must be at least a second-semester first-year, preferably a Feb, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks; self-motivation and the ability to work independently and proactively on projects; previous experience with community service in Addison County preferred.
Basic computer skills. Appropriate telephone skills. Ability to articulate clearly for both on- and off-campus community members.