Government Documents Assistant, Main Library
Position Number: 900136
Department or Office: Library & Information Services
Level: Level B (Skilled)
Would prefer student who would be available before and after summer school.
The Government Documents assistant will be required to learn and execute cataloging, bindery, stacks and other processes.
- Perform copy cataloging functions. Search for bibliographic catalog records using DRA and LCMARC databases. Verifies accuracy of bibliographic records by comparing MARC record with physical document. Copies records into library's catalog (MIDCAT). Edits online record to comply with local practices.
- Perform bindery functions. Process and mark new materials including paper, microfiche, videocassette, CD-ROM and DVD documents. Processing includes labeling, and stamping, processing for security system. Barcode (creating on-line item records in library catalog) documents to make them shelf ready.
- Update and expand the Government Documents information on the web.
- Process incoming shipments. Verify accuracy of shipments. Keep statistics of incoming materials. Process claims for unshipped documents.
- Shelving and reshelving paper documents and filing microfiche documents using the Superintendent of Documents classification system. Must be alert to shelving problems to be reported to the associate.
- Other shelving duties may include general cleaning; relocation of books, assembly and disassembly of shelving
- Helps to maintain the government documents public computer workstations.
- Works on long term projects to improve access to Government Documents.