Summer Stacks Assistant
Position Number: 900693
Department or Office: Library & Information Services
Level: Level B (Skilled)
LIS Summer Stacks Assistant will be considered a part of the "front end" team, integrating bookstacks, circulation, interlibrary and reserves tasks as required. Prior experience in customer services and collections maintenance environments is highly desirable, and a demonstrated ability to manage a variety of tasks essential. It is expected that the assistant will be receptive to on-job-training across the usual departmental lines and develop the flexibility to respond as needed to changing patterns of workload.
The summer assistant will have a special ability to work independently of immediate supervision, and to communicate with appropriate parties in absence of primary supervisor. Assistant will in essence be reporting, at various times, to at least three managing supervisors, representing stacks, interlibrary and reserves offices.
The assistant may be asked to take on continuing responsibility for special projects, which may include major collections shifts; materials and shelf cleaning; space measurement and survey; and other undertakings as determined necessary by bookstacks, interlibrary and reserves offices. The assistant would be expected to manage specific tasks and ongoing projects, maintaining priorities under guidance of supervisors.
- Ability to function independently in the absence of primary supervisor to ensure the smooth functioning of the shelving department
- Responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely shelving of materials in the absence of the primary supervisor, in collaboration with other LIS work units
- Working knowledge of classification and integrated library systems
- Personal responsibility for schedule and completion of assigned and routine tasks
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Troubleshoots errors in classification and labeling
- Able to support front desk activity if needed
- Contributes to effective workflows