Organic Garden Manager
Position Number: 900517
Department or Office: Center for Campus Activities & Leadership
Level: Level B (Skilled)
Garden and business management (with the direct support of the Garden Advisor):
- Research, design and help assist with the building of the overall garden, the production garden, "seed saving" project, and other structures on the site.
- Find and purchase seeds, supplies and materials.
- Guide and perform garden work: sowing, cultivating, harvest, etc.
- Contact and arrange produce sales and billing with Dining Services and other business partnerships.
- Liaison with Campus Activities Office.
- Manage the garden budget and oversee purchases.
- Record crop production data.
- Supervises summer interns and coordinates appropriate work schedules/activities for all summer workers (students, volunteers community members, etc.)
- Oversee and keeps inventory of tools and equipment. Maintain tools in proper condition.
- Insure proper instruction and safety demonstrations for all workers/volunteer.
Outreach: (with the direct support of the Garden Advisor)
- Oversee scheduling of the Summer Language School workers and community tours held at the Organic Garden
- Contact local schools, community groups, student groups, etc. for outreach programs
- Contact local farmers for tours, joint projects and partnerships
- Collaborates with local/organic food education campaigns.
- Participates in grant writing/fundraising with support of the Garden Advisor
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Training
Foremost, this job requires dedication and enthusiasm. The garden is a place to learn and to teach others. Previous gardening experience is ideal. An able body, smiling face, patience, clear head, and good communication skills are also highly recommended.
Jay Leshinsky, Organic Garden Advisor
Business Phone: 802-388-3736